PDA

View Full Version : You know you're a programmer at birth when...

Legendary_Bibo
August 3rd, 2010, 03:39 AM
while tutoring someone at math you get bored and start learning TI-BASIC by trial and error on your calculator to write programs that draw pictures.

I made a turkey...

Metallion
August 3rd, 2010, 04:24 AM
Not sure if that means you're a born programmer though. Math classes drive people to their limits.

nmaster
August 3rd, 2010, 04:28 AM
while tutoring someone at math you get bored and start learning TI-BASIC by trial and error on your calculator to write programs that draw pictures.

I made a turkey...

maybe you're just a bad math tutor, lol :)

smellyman
August 3rd, 2010, 05:13 AM
When the ladies ignore you.....:)

Goolie
August 3rd, 2010, 05:16 AM
you hate semi-colons

mkendall
August 3rd, 2010, 05:50 AM
Not sure if that means you're a born programmer though. Math classes drive people to their limits.

Budda-bump.

Khakilang
August 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
If you keep saying "If not' and "Go to" than you are born programmer.

RiceMonster
August 3rd, 2010, 01:05 PM
If you keep saying "If not' and "Go to" than you are born programmer.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/goto.png

Zorgoth
August 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
Indeed, RiceMonster makes a valid point. If you use goto you are not a programmer. And you will be eaten by a raptor.

jerenept
August 3rd, 2010, 04:17 PM
I should use WHILE and so forth rather that GOTO?

Sometimes GOTO seems much easier.

RiceMonster
August 3rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
I should use WHILE and so forth rather that GOTO?

Sometimes GOTO seems much easier.

goto is the best way to write spaghetti code. If you can use if, while, for, switch, etc correctly, you won't need to use goto and your code will be much easier to follow.

Legendary_Bibo
August 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
I always get a feeling of guilt when I use a goto statement. It sucks though because I can have an issue where I write something wrong in a program that I can fix with a quick goto statement but instead I spend hours restructuring it into a more logical way that'll actually compile.

kajankow
August 4th, 2010, 01:36 AM
you hate semi-colons

Amen to that.

Zorgoth
August 4th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Actually I don't hate semicolons. Lately I've been writing in Matlab, and if I forget a semicolon, I don't just get a compiler error, I get random junk spewing out of my terminal. But without semicolons, I would have to do something more than type a variable name in order to print it!