PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hp printer

haoleboy
August 3rd, 2010, 02:56 AM
I am attempting to install the HP psc 2410xi, using Ubuntu 10.4. I have installed the drivers, but I need to install the HPLIP stuff. I have the understanding I must use the command line to install. I used the example from the HP website, but it looks like I am missing something. What commands do I use?
Thanks for your help.

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 02:59 AM
I am attempting to install the HP psc 2410xi, using Ubuntu 10.4. I have installed the drivers, but I need to install the HPLIP stuff. I have the understanding I must use the command line to install. I used the example from the HP website, but it looks like I am missing something. What commands do I use?
Thanks for your help.

Hi,

HPLIP is, by default, included with Ubuntu.

But you can check it something weird happened by reinstalling it through System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and search for hplip, if 'Installed version' isn't blank then HPLIP is already installed.

haoleboy
August 3rd, 2010, 03:32 AM
Thank you Justin, the program is installed. When i want to use the scanner, it tells me that no scanning software has been installed. Could you please show me how to do this little task? Or is it a big one?
Thank you for your time!:p

Mahalo!!

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 03:34 AM
Thank you Justin, the program is installed. When i want to use the scanner, it tells me that no scanning software has been installed. Could you please show me how to do this little task? Or is it a big one?
Thank you for your time!:p

Mahalo!!

Hi! Try going to Applications > Graphics > Simple Scan

haoleboy
August 3rd, 2010, 03:40 AM
It shows unable to connect ....change scanner or cancel.And no other scanner is attached.....

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 03:43 AM
It shows unable to connect ....change scanner or cancel.And no other scanner is attached.....

Okay, can you post a screenshot of the HPlib error?

haoleboy
August 3rd, 2010, 03:47 AM
I'll give it a try....

haoleboy
August 3rd, 2010, 03:50 AM
file:///home/dave/Desktop/Screenshot-hplip-3.10.6.run%20(~-Downloads)%20-%20gedit.png

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 03:52 AM
file:///home/dave/Desktop/Screenshot-hplip-3.10.6.run%20(~-Downloads)%20-%20gedit.png

Can you attach that image as a attachment? The link you posted to me would only work on your computer, (/home/dave is not on my computer :p)

haoleboy
August 3rd, 2010, 03:58 AM
I think I did this right.....

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 04:01 AM
I think I did this right.....

According to your previous posts, HPLIP is already installed? If so, there is no reason to install HPLIB again - you can delete that .run file.

If you want to open HPLIP install the package 'hplip-gui' from Synaptic Package Manager. Then go to System > Preferences > HPLIP Toolbox

haoleboy
August 3rd, 2010, 04:24 AM
Sorry for the delay... I did not find any listing under <system...<preferences.... but I did find the toolbox listed in the System Package Manager... I hesitated to check or uncheck to uninstall the program....

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 04:27 AM
Sorry for the delay... I did not find any listing under <system...<preferences.... but I did find the toolbox listed in the System Package Manager... I hesitated to check or uncheck to uninstall the program....

Did you install 'hplip-gui'?

haoleboy
August 3rd, 2010, 04:31 AM
I am installing it at this moment.....Thank you

haoleboy
August 3rd, 2010, 04:41 AM
Mahalo Justin;
The GUI is installed, I can clean the heads, all the good stuff is listed. But it does not recognize the scanner... I should be able to figure this one out.....
Thank you so very much for your steering me in the right direction!

Mahalo!!