PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to install linux on the ipad yet?

Dustin2128
August 3rd, 2010, 12:56 AM
I've been interested in the ipad for a while, but I refuse to use something with that closed an OS. I figured it would be a couple months tops before someone developed a distro for the ipad. So has it been done yet?

Stancel
August 3rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
Even if it was possible, why would you buy an iPad only to overwrite it with Linux? Especially since Android is Linux based....

Dustin2128
August 3rd, 2010, 01:25 AM
Even if it was possible, why would you buy an iPad only to overwrite it with Linux? Especially since Android is Linux based....

I'm just wondering if its possible. I'd probably get a more customizable tablet personally.

MCVenom
August 3rd, 2010, 01:46 AM
We haven't really seen any good Android tablets, and we probably won't until Gingerbread (Android 3.0) comes out.

kevin11951
August 3rd, 2010, 01:52 AM
I've been interested in the ipad for a while, but I refuse to use something with that closed an OS. I figured it would be a couple months tops before someone developed a distro for the ipad. So has it been done yet?

Sorry to crush your hopes, but they still haven't gotten Linux to run on the iPod Touch/iPhone (to any meaningful level anyway, they got a cli prompt to come up, but thats it).

And thats been out for how long?

Edit: After googling it, there seems to be chatter about Ipod touch linux distros, but they seem to still be working on audio/etc... and not near any usable state.

JustinR
August 3rd, 2010, 02:00 AM

Because the iPad OS is crippling - you can't do much with it.

I would definitely invest in an iPad if I could put linux on it - would be pretty cool.

ubunterooster
August 3rd, 2010, 02:17 AM
uPad??? Sure, I'll take one.

MCVenom
August 3rd, 2010, 02:24 AM
Sorry to crush your hopes, but they still haven't gotten Linux to run on the iPod Touch/iPhone (to any meaningful level anyway, they got a cli prompt to come up, but thats it).

And thats been out for how long?

Edit: After googling it, there seems to be chatter about Ipod touch linux distros, but they seem to still be working on audio/etc... and not near any usable state.
Android? ;)

witeshark17
August 3rd, 2010, 02:32 AM
If anyone does this, screenshots please!

Dr. C
August 3rd, 2010, 02:43 AM
Has been done somewhat with Android on an iPhone. So for the iPad it is a matter of time. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/06/iphone-hacked-android-froyo/

Ocxic
August 3rd, 2010, 02:52 AM
the "iPod linux" peoples are not developing for the iPod Touch at all since you can jailbreak it, and because of Linux availability through the "iDriod" project.

so if you want Linux on Apple's touch tech your have to look to idriod