PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installed Programs Not Added to "Applications" Menu

Ron Carson
August 3rd, 2010, 12:55 AM
Just started having a problem that after installing applications, they don't appear on the "Applications" menu. For example, I installed Wine via Synaptic but there is no Wine menu. How can I fix this problem so that programs are automatically added to the Applications menu?

R

SpockVulcan
August 3rd, 2010, 01:13 AM
Right click the menu and then edit menus there should be a check box somewhere in there to do with Wine

Ron Carson
August 3rd, 2010, 01:43 AM
Right click the menu and then edit menus there should be a check box somewhere in there to do with Wine

Did that and found about 6 "wine" programs and a bunch of other crap. Deleted them all, removed Wine via synaptic, reinstalled and now have no Wine functionality. Now what?

I love Ubuntu, but I get frustrated with not knowing how to fix it when broke.

beew
August 3rd, 2010, 02:13 AM
Hi,

The same thing happened to me yesterday and I just figured out how to restore the wine menu :)

On the top panel click "Places". Then go to Home/username, where "username" is your login name. Click "view" and check "Show Hidden Files". Then open the folder .config and go to the subfolder "menus". You will find inside a file called "applications.menu". Open it with gedit and find the entry for WINE. You will see the tag <delete> in several places under the WINE entry, they were created when you deleted the wine menu in the Main Menu. Now delete all these <delete> tags . Save the file and close it. Reboot and you should find those WINE menus back. If not, just open System > Preferences > Main Menu and check the appropriate boxes.

Ron Carson
August 3rd, 2010, 02:18 AM
beew, thank you so much for your reply. I had just found that fix before logging back onto the Ubuntu Forum. Isn't is so weird that something so obscure cause such a headache!

Ocxic
August 3rd, 2010, 02:39 AM
running "killall gnome-panel" from a terminal will re-load the menu and panels, and will usually fix an item not appearing.