Vaughn Richie
August 2nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Which one is the best way to learn linux programing Ubuntu in Kate or Fedora

August 2nd, 2010, 06:42 PM
If you are new to Linux use Ubuntu.

August 2nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
i like Ubuntu best

August 2nd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Your choice; try one, if you don't like it try the other.

Ubuntu is possibly easier to install for a new user, I prefer their software management system (based upon dpkg) rather than Fedora's RPM system.

There is little difference bewteen programming on either system.

BTW, 'kate' can be a KDE text editor, or there is a linux distribution named 'kate' which is significantly harder to install than Ubuntu or Fedora (its designed for older systems).

August 2nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Which one is the best way to learn linux programing Ubuntu in Kate or Fedora

It makes no difference. Like asking "Which is the best car for driving to the mall, a red one or a green one?"

Since you are here and not the Fedora forums I'll recommend Ubuntu. :)

August 3rd, 2010, 06:12 AM
Both and Fedora and Ubuntu is good in their own way. But if you are new to Linux then as I said before try Ubuntu.

August 3rd, 2010, 06:40 AM
Which one is the best way to learn linux programing Ubuntu in Kate or FedoraUbuntu, Fedora is loosely based on RedHat (well in all honesty, and many will disagree with me, Fedora is the free version of RedHat) and I don't like RedHat ever since I had RedHat8 and it never ever worked.

It makes no difference. Like asking "Which is the best car for driving to the mall, a red one or a green one?"A red one will get you there faster, but on the other hand a Green on will guarantee parking cause no one will want to be seen near you :p

August 3rd, 2010, 06:57 AM
I understand where snowpine is coming from. We don't know what the OP's curve is.

Fedora may be easier for some, but for me Ubuntu has been the easiest and the best working. Either one will take time to get used to, but they both can be learned. The most important part is having the documentation handy for troubleshooting and finding things that may not be in the menu where you'd expect.

Use a VBox and install both, they both install decently quick, and try them out. Whichever one calls to you will probably be the best one.

August 3rd, 2010, 07:12 AM
I use both, daily.

Ubuntu on laptops (with Gnome)

Fedora on desktops (with KDE)

Both work quite well for my needs, but Ubuntu does have more desktop polish, which worth considering if you're new to Linux.

uRock's suggestion of running them in a VM like VirtualBox is a great idea.

You'll find Fedora, Ubuntu and other Linux VirtualBox images ready to fire up and try on virtualboxes.org (http://virtualboxes.org/images/)

Play and learn.

August 3rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
I think you're asking the right question on the wrong forum, since everyone here will have some sort of bias (not surprisingly).

If you want to decide, best thing to do is ask yourself what your goal is. If you want to run Linux so you know how to start firefox and learn your way around Gnome, and make sure all your stuff works, then use Ubuntu because it's "easy".

That being said, "easy" distros are not particularly good for teaching you anything except clicking. You say you want to learn "Linux programming" - I don't know what that is, but I'll take a guess that you're thinking about shell scripting, or Perl?

Both distros will provide you with the tools you need, but Fedora may be a better foundation for "learning" as it may not be as friendly as Ubuntu is.

For example, I want to be a Linux network admin, so I stayed away from Ubuntu and went for Slackware since you have to manually use fdisk to configure partitions, all done in a command line interface, something I'll be seeing a lot of at work.

If you want to learn only shell scripting or Perl and dont want any headaches, pick Ubuntu. If you want to learn the above PLUS how to fix unexpected problems, go with Fedora.

p.s.: I'm running Fedora right now and absolutely love it.

August 3rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
the only way you will know which one will suit you is by trying them out and see what you can do and all but if you ask me Ubuntu is the one you will probably want but perhaps Fedora will interest you more. as others have said try them in a virtual machine so you can keep your current install and play with both and give each a chance.