PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do i just have a bad disc?

hankaaron88
August 2nd, 2010, 03:16 PM
I've tried to boot my Ubuntu 10.04 from my disc drive, and installing it in Windows like an app, but every time I do my screen looks like it went bad. The top two inches are the way it should be but the rest is white, and I can't see anything. Is there some setting on my comp I need to adjust or did I just get a bad disc? The disc doesn't have a scratch on it and I've cleaned twice now.

Rubi1200
August 2nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Two possibilities:

1) try downloading the ISO and burning it again at the lowest possible speed

2) use one of the workarounds mentioned here:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup-workaround/

hankaaron88
August 2nd, 2010, 09:04 PM
Actually I think it's my graphics controller. I have an old Dell Inspiron laptop I'm trying to put it on. The mobo id is <DMI>, and the name is Dell Inspiron 2600. The graphics is an Intel(R) 82830M graphics controller. I hope that helps.

Just to let you know this is what I have tried so far. I used the disc I got from Canonical (10.04). Tried to boot from disc, and got the problem I described above. Then tried using WUBI to install it like an app in Windows, again same problem. Thought maybe the disc was bad so I downloaded the WUBI from the Ubuntu website, and once again the same problem. Lastly I tried to boot Ubuntu in "graphics safe mode", and it said something about Ubuntu 2.1 or something to that effect. I have no idea what I was doing so I stopped before I really messed something up.

Rubi1200
August 2nd, 2010, 09:12 PM
You may be right about the graphics.

Try the previous version (9.10): if there is no problem, then it is almost certainly a graphics issue.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/karmic/

You would then need to decide if you want to continue using 9.10 (supported until April 2011) or wait until the next version 10.10 in October.

MasterGamerJK
August 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
you could also try a different version of linux such as Xubuntu or damn small linuxthat dosent need as much or any graphic power

hankaaron88
August 2nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys (or girls lol). Will give it a try and report back.

hankaaron88
August 3rd, 2010, 03:09 AM
Is there a way to install 9.10 without a disc? The laptop I have doesn't have disc burner on it. I'm looking for the WUBI so I can get to know it before I install it as my only OS.