PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] External HDD stopped working after ubuntu and sudden shut down

Vuk Matic
August 2nd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Okay so last night i was on my laptop (its missing a battery coz hp is a piece of ****) and i was watching something on it and my brother accidentally pulled the cord out and the computer switched off! As i was putting down the laptop (onto the floor) i forgot that the External was plugged in and so pulled it down and it hit the floor, not very hard it was a little dropped, but the plastic case opened! Now the hard disk wont start up in windows vista (64 and 32) or ubuntu although it is still recognized by all three! ubuntu thinks it is a 2.2 TB drive whereas vista thinks its a 10 GB drive! Now what i want to know is if here is any way that ubuntu might have messed up the drivers on the external? or any help at all about the external! Thanks !!!

PremiereWebDesign
August 2nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Okay so last night i was on my laptop (its missing a battery coz hp is a piece of ****) and i was watching something on it and my brother accidentally pulled the cord out and the computer switched off! As i was putting down the laptop (onto the floor) i forgot that the External was plugged in and so pulled it down and it hit the floor, not very hard it was a little dropped, but the plastic case opened! Now the hard disk wont start up in windows vista (64 and 32) or ubuntu although it is still recognized by all three! ubuntu thinks it is a 2.2 TB drive whereas vista thinks its a 10 GB drive! Now what i want to know is if here is any way that ubuntu might have messed up the drivers on the external? or any help at all about the external! Thanks !!!
If it was working prior to being dropped, then I would say that the drop may have messed it up.

Vuk Matic
August 2nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
If it was working prior to being dropped, then I would say that the drop may have messed it up.

I was thinking the same thing but i was just wondering if by any luck it was something else!

Coz ubuntu will let me format it but i dont want to because i have a looot of data on it!