PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Studio vs Ubuntu Ultimate, vs others....

Nick_Jinn
August 2nd, 2010, 12:36 PM
I know this has been debated before, but the debates dont necessarily stay relevant if they are not recent and up to date.

How would you compare Ubuntu Ultimate or 'Ultimate Edition' against Mint? I have not tried tried Ultimate edition, but the themes look cool and it seems to have a lot already installed, which is nice since I have decent resources to expend. Im not looking for lite weight, at least not on my desktop....maybe on my pen drive.

Are any of the spin-offs especially good for gaming? I dont mean that they have games included....thats barely important with broadband, but do any have any nifty tools that improve wine or have access to more games or gaming tools or anything? More access to codecs and drivers, proprietary or not?

Do any have more impressive graphics and desktop customization apps that Ubuntu doesnt have by default? I like how mint makes Compiz and advanced desktop effects customization a little easier and more accessible....what does Ultimate or Sabayon have going for it in that department?

Finally, does ANYONE know of that app that has the circular menu? Its probably for E-17, but I saw it on Open GEU so it could be E-17 or Gnome......Its like how in E-17, KDE or XFCE when you right click on the desktop and you get a menu, but instead of a menu you get a cool looking cirlcular pie chart with your menu options.....this is wicked cool when you can theme it E-17 style...I saw it on a video but have not found anything about it since.

Anyone ever manage to get Gnome working on one profile then E-17 on another with support for Gnome apps?

SpockVulcan
August 2nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
I personally like Linux Mint the most myself. It is fast clean and has alot of things that come with it that with ubuntu you have to install separately.

eg. Xchat on LM automatically joins you into the support and chat channels with ubuntu you have to install it.

NewDisciple
August 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Edition is pretty much like Ubuntu. More applications installed and a whole lot better looking though. Once it is installed it is stunning.

Nick_Jinn
August 3rd, 2010, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Edition is pretty much like Ubuntu. More applications installed and a whole lot better looking though. Once it is installed it is stunning.

They dont have anything unique as far as graphic effects or user interface? I like how Mint created the 'Control Center' and added some of the advanced graphic customizations by default. I can specify what desktop effects i want, while in regular Ubuntu I can only set the level and get 3 options....I am not sure the changes are different enough to warrant being a 'new distro' rather than a different edition of Ubuntu, but its pretty convenient and it looks nice.

I think I like the colors of Ubuntu ultimate even better and I like having more apps installed by default. I was hoping there would be some advanced effects though.

uRock
August 3rd, 2010, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Edition takes up way too much HDD space. I gave it an 8GB partition to work with and the installer ran out of space. This was with 2.7. Older versions may be better.

I have installed Ubuntu Studio and Edubuntu onto my production machine and they make life great.

Cheers,
uRock

Nick_Jinn
August 3rd, 2010, 07:39 AM
That is a non issue for me. I have nearly 4TB of storage total and 1.3TB in my desktop. Id be willing to give it a 50gb root partition if it needs it. I have no preference for lite weight in the HDD department, though I dont want it to be as RAM hungry as Vista.

I have 18gb just for swap space, just so I can do heavy video editing from live CD. I have dual optical drives.

rollin
August 3rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
I personally like Linux Mint the most myself. It is fast clean and has alot of things that come with it that with ubuntu you have to install separately.

eg. Xchat on LM automatically joins you into the support and chat channels with ubuntu you have to install it.

+1 I'd add that anyone new to Ubuntu looking for a lightweight OS might find Mint-Xfce easier to deal with than Xubuntu as it comes with a very finished look. Over time though the same user with more skills and confidence in customization would prefer the possibilties the "plain looking" Xubuntu installation offers.

Nick_Jinn
August 3rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
I am testing Ubuntu Ultimate edition and its pretty sick....and by sick I mean sweet...and by that I mean mind blowing eye candy. I knew Ubuntu was better looking than Windows or Mac, but this is some serious 3d animation. I think this might be replacing my mint partition.

Do you think 55gb root partition is excessive? That would be the first time my root was larger than my home partition. Im just using 30gb home partitions and I have a tb /data partition.

I think Im going to donate 5 bucks just because I am impressed.

Nick_Jinn
August 3rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
I am still using Mint Gnome for my laptop, my girlfriends laptop and for any Ubuntu installations I do for clients.

I will probably use Mint XFCE for my USB stick.

Mint is still the easiest and most polished distro around, great for new users, and I like their politics (especially the controversial parts), but I am really liking the eye candy here on my gaming PC.

Are there any competitors that have this level of eye candy that use Gnome?

E17 is cool for 2D, but this in my opinion is what Gnome SHOULD look like. It has the 3D power. Why should it be beaten by a 2D lightweight operating system in the look department?

I am yet to test out all the features. I hope its smooth sailing as far as functionality.

stlsaint
August 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Edition is more than just some themse and apps installed and here is why:
1. The maker of UE works hard to fix alot of bug/issues prior to putting out UE instead of having you file bugs.
2. It gives you MANY options to work with on applications yet still retains the orginal Ubuntu repos if you need something specific.
3. 2.7 is running the .35 kernel! :D Awesome!! ;)
4. And that eye candy you are referring to wanting is simply compiz. 2.7 even comes with alot of preconfigured desktop effects to work with by default.

Nick_Jinn
August 3rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Yeah, but regular Compiz didnt have all these effects....at least not obviously so. Mint had more than Ubuntu, but Ultimate has more than Mint as far as themes and effects.

I like that Mint and Ultimate fix bugs before release....I almost feel like Ubuntus Beta is the Alpha and the stable release is the Beta, and Mint is the 'real' release....Ubuntu is the best, but the early releases are buggy without fail and rely on updates requiring broadband....at least with Mint you can choose updates by priority, which is better if you have dial up.

How do I enable the more advanced Beryl effects?

Ultimate is very bloated though. I have decent specs and this has taken hours and its not finished yet. I hope it goes easier on the RAM than it does on the hard drive. If not, I might have to put Mint back on.

So is Ultimate using the newer kernel? Does that mean my Wacom will work without updating it?

realzippy
August 3rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
How do I enable the more advanced Beryl effects?

Beryl is now Compiz (compiz-fusion)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_%28window_manager%29

Easy way to install many compiz plugins:

http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=12012