PDA

View Full Version : organize trip to china, need help :)

weatherman
August 2nd, 2010, 09:33 AM
Hi, I am being sent to Beijing for business on 21st to 24th of September, my plan is to travel around China from the 12th to the 20th.

The starting point of the trip does not need to be Beijing although I'd personally pay any additional costs to travel to some other location.

I am interested in nature, hiking, and historic spots. I am travelling on a budget and I'd like to not spend excessive time travelling on trains/planes.

My vague plan is to spend half the time to hike the Hulunbuir grasslands and half to visit Beijing and surrounding historic spots.

Do you think that's a good idea? Any other suggestions about hiking locations not too far from Beijing? anything not to miss? It's my first time to asia, so any suggestion is welcome :)

ok, two things I am slightly worried about (probably dumb tourist worries :) First, I have problems being in smoky places and I heard you can smoke on chinese trains... is it possible to open the windows? how bad is it?
Second, I am vegetarian (although I'd be ok with eating some fish), can I get vegetarian meals in Hulunbuir (me not speaking any chinese)?

Thanks a lot!

xir_
August 2nd, 2010, 02:12 PM
When I studied in bejing there was a small water town near by that was described as the Venice of China, it was very beautiful, maybe try looking it up.

Cuddles McKitten
August 2nd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Never been there, but Xi'an (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xi%27an) has a LOT of history, being a capital city for most of China's run and the most populous city in the world for hundreds of years. If you're more interested in doing stuff, and seeing modern things Hong Kong and Shanghai are world class cities on par with New York and London.

weatherman
August 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
thanks, I'd heard about Xi'an, seems like definitely worth a visit.

@xir__ : searching for venice of China I get a bunch of results for Zhouzhuang, Suzhou, near Shanghai, but that's not what you mean, is it?

Grafens
August 3rd, 2010, 05:02 PM
I've never been to China but I have done a lot of off the beaten track travelling and would suggest you get yourself a UPTO DATE copy of “Lonely Planet” it covers important stuff like where's the nearest ATM, a decent hotel for your budget and where's the local hospital. It should also give you some ideas on what to see in the time you have and a whole load of other useful stuff.