PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Please help. Wireless problem.

ariascarlos1990
August 2nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
I can't for the life of me get the wireless to work on my Lenovo G530 444624u. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Desktop. The card is a Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g.

The card shows up in sudo lspci

I can't get internet through the Ethernet port either so Its not an option to download anything. I can transfer files from the computer i'm on right now to it via memory stick though to help get it working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS and have a nice day!

orethrius
August 2nd, 2010, 08:05 AM
It should be possible to address this solely from the system in question, unless firmware needs to be transferred. Your first recourse is to do this:

lsmod | grep b43

If that returns nothing, try:

sudo modprobe b43

If you get an error inserting b43, we'll need to provide you another way to get that module. If not, continue on:

ifconfig | grep wlan

Using the "wlanX" from above, where X is a number 0-9, we'll determine if your network is visible:

iwlist wlanX scanning

Then, from there, where NetworkName is your wireless name, and NetworkKey is... well...:

gksudo 'ifconfig wlanX down; sleep 2; iwconfig wlanX "NetworkName" key restricted "NetworkKey"; sleep 2; ifconfig wlanX up; sleep 2; dhclient wlanX'

Of course, that's sloppily coded, and only addresses WEP-based networks, but it's a starting point.

ariascarlos1990
August 2nd, 2010, 08:22 AM
Ok I did the first command and this came up. What next? Nothing happened when I entered the command
ifconfig | grep wlan
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p51/scooter_dude442/1280733481.png

jtarin
August 2nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
Then try the command
ifconfig -a and post the results.

orethrius
August 2nd, 2010, 08:34 AM
Okay, simple enough, either the WLAN card isn't bound correctly, or it's using a different identifier. Does anything show up as a response to ifconfig?

EDIT: Actually, ferb82 may have a point... can you connect to the Internet at all, from ANY system in your household?

ariascarlos1990
August 2nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
Then try the command
ifconfig -a and post the results.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p51/scooter_dude442/Screenshot-1-4.png

ariascarlos1990
August 2nd, 2010, 08:40 AM
I think you should check your internet modem. I have the same problem and I found this solution.

Modem is good. I'm using another laptop perfectly fine on it.

jarviser
August 2nd, 2010, 08:42 AM
It's BROADCOM device. Search on here for "Broadcom" because Broadcom wifi card needs special drivers installed.

anewguy
August 2nd, 2010, 08:49 AM
There are a few ways to get your wireless working. 2 of the most common are:

(1) via a hard-wired connection to the access point, do a few simple commands

(2) if you have no way to hard-wire a connection to the access point you can use the Windows drivers for your adapter and 2 linux programs - ndiswrapper and its' gui'd front end ndisgtk (makes things simple).

Post back what you'd like to try and we'll go from there. There are other options available, such as the firmware cutter, etc., but these 2 methods are the easiest to get things working.

Dave ;)

jtarin
August 2nd, 2010, 08:54 AM
Ok all your connections are visible. Do you have a hard-wired connection from your ethernet port to.......?

jarviser
August 2nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

ariascarlos1990
August 2nd, 2010, 09:00 AM
There are a few ways to get your wireless working. 2 of the most common are:

(1) via a hard-wired connection to the access point, do a few simple commands

(2) if you have no way to hard-wire a connection to the access point you can use the Windows drivers for your adapter and 2 linux programs - ndiswrapper and its' gui'd front end ndisgtk (makes things simple).

Post back what you'd like to try and we'll go from there. There are other options available, such as the firmware cutter, etc., but these 2 methods are the easiest to get things working.

Dave ;)

I can't hook the computer directly to the modem its self but, I do have a Ethernet cord I could share internet connection through my other pc. I think that would be to difficult though so how about #2?

ariascarlos1990
August 2nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
Ok all your connections are visible. Do you have a hard-wired connection from your ethernet port to.......?

I don't

It's a Broadcom card - have you installed the driver yet?

I don't think so. This is a fresh install of ubuntu. So no??....

How do you do that?

orethrius
August 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
Okay, seems to be an awful lot of noise here, what do you get from:

iwlist wlan0 scanning

If your network shows up, we can go from there; if not, either there's a driver error, or simply a problem on the router's end.

ariascarlos1990
August 2nd, 2010, 09:33 AM
Okay, seems to be an awful lot of noise here, what do you get from:

iwlist wlan0 scanningIf your network shows up, we can go from there; if not, either there's a driver error, or simply a problem on the router's end.

It says "Failed to read scan data: Network is down"

orethrius
August 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
It says "Failed to read scan data: Network is down"

Same thing if you try sudo ifconfig wlan0 up first?

jarviser
August 2nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
Okay, seems to be an awful lot of noise here, ...

If you want the forum to yourself old chap, pray continue.

ariascarlos1990
August 2nd, 2010, 09:43 AM
Same thing if you try sudo ifconfig wlan0 up first?

I appreciate everybody's help!

I figured it out.

I this little tut and it works like a charm.

b43 - No Internet access

If you do not have any other means of internet access on your computer, you will have to install b43-fwcutter and setup manually (without the firmware automatically downloading and being set up).
b43-fwcutter is located on the Ubuntu install cd under ../pool/main/b/b43-fwcutter/ or in the official repositories online.
Double click on the package to install or in a terminal navigate to the folder containing the package and issue the following command:
:/b43-fwcutter/$ sudo dpkg -i b43-fwcutter*Step 1.
On a computer with Internet access, download the required firmware files from http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o and http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
Step 2.
Copy the downloaded files to your home folder and execute the following commands consecutively in a terminal to extract and install the firmware:

~$ tar xfvj broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
~$ sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
~$ sudo b43-fwcutter --unsupported -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver/wl_apsta_mimo.oNote: A computer restart may be required before using the wifi card.

Again thanks everybody for you help I really appreciated it!

orethrius
August 2nd, 2010, 10:05 AM
If you want the forum to yourself old chap, pray continue.

I'm sorry, do I know you? Being as I don't, I find it difficult to interpret your meaning here. It's moot anyways, as Carlos discovered the right course of action by simply following his instincts. This does nothing to change the fact that fwcutter is the rare exception where software can directly affect issues with the firmware. Switching network managers isn't helpful at best, and detrimental at the very worst. Perhaps we should focus more on encouraging user experimentation, than on pulling them in opposing directions.

EDIT: Additionally, I find it incredibly frustrating when people decide to "call me out" when I comment on the level of noise. When people make posts that demonstrate that they either didn't read or didn't understand the OP's first post, that is - by definition - noise. If you meant to do so, then perhaps you would like the forum to yourself. If this is not what you meant, then it would seem that I'm now overreacting. The ball is entirely in your court. ;)

anewguy
August 4th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I think what you would find is that if you stop being vocal about how good YOU are (Okay, seems to be an awful lot of noise here) you may find people much more receptive to your WELCOMED attempts to help. If you had just simply omitted that, and instead said "I'm not sure if it will help or not, but let's try this...." you wouldn't have gotten flamed. Being a little self-depricating can be a + on this forum when you are dealing with beginners or people like me - more experience, but still have plenty of questions about areas I'm not familiar with.

I agree that sometimes people reply on threads with useless information, but you know they are only trying to help and learn themselves. I tend to give most people a lot of slack in that area.

Obviously any attempts at help are welcomed - just please be aware of your tone.

anewguy
August 5th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I'm sorry, do I know you? Being as I don't, I find it difficult to interpret your meaning here. It's moot anyways, as Carlos discovered the right course of action by simply following his instincts. This does nothing to change the fact that fwcutter is the rare exception where software can directly affect issues with the firmware. Switching network managers isn't helpful at best, and detrimental at the very worst. Perhaps we should focus more on encouraging user experimentation, than on pulling them in opposing directions.

EDIT: Additionally, I find it incredibly frustrating when people decide to "call me out" when I comment on the level of noise. When people make posts that demonstrate that they either didn't read or didn't understand the OP's first post, that is - by definition - noise. If you meant to do so, then perhaps you would like the forum to yourself. If this is not what you meant, then it would seem that I'm now overreacting. The ball is entirely in your court. ;)

Let's see - Broadcom wireless that the user never installed a driver for, and looking for help on getting the wireless going. First post seems pretty obvious to me and many others. The solutions I would have had the OP do if they had not solved this themselves would have installed the driver and gotten the wi-fi working. So, perhaps YOU need to read what people are writing.

Here's the deal pal - other people have been solving Broadcom "problems" for years. You come in here, act like you're God, when in fact your advice didn't do any good. Did the OP find the answer him/herself? Yes. Could the rest of us have solved this without your help? You better believe it.

Quit with the attitude - you're simply not that good.