PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Lucid Lynx on a laptop?

hiloguy37
August 2nd, 2010, 07:10 AM
Hello!

I've been on this forum for years, worked with Ubuntu in several versions, finally gave up with seemingly unsolvable wifi issues. I'm back. Had to get a new username, as everytyhing I tried to get my old one back failed. My question: I have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop running Vista Ultimate. I would like to install Ubuntu 10.04 as a dual boot, but everything I've read (in hours of going through magazines at Borders) said that 10.04 is for desktops. I use this laptop as a desktop, with both its and an additional display. Does anyone here have any experience with this laptop and 10.04? What is the liklihood that Ubuntu will recognize the wireless adapter in this one? I would LOVE to get Ubuntu running again in our office, but the wifi issues of the past were overwhelming and nobody in this form could help. Different laptop, however. It was a Dell D620.

Help?

slooksterpsv
August 2nd, 2010, 07:15 AM
Hello!

I've been on this forum for years, worked with Ubuntu in several versions, finally gave up with seemingly unsolvable wifi issues. I'm back. Had to get a new username, as everytyhing I tried to get my old one back failed. My question: I have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop running Vista Ultimate. I would like to install Ubuntu 10.04 as a dual boot, but everything I've read (in hours of going through magazines at Borders) said that 10.04 is for desktops. I use this laptop as a desktop, with both its and an additional display. Does anyone here have any experience with this laptop and 10.04? What is the liklihood that Ubuntu will recognize the wireless adapter in this one? I would LOVE to get Ubuntu running again in our office, but the wifi issues of the past were overwhelming and nobody in this form could help. Different laptop, however. It was a Dell D620.

Help?

I don't have experience with that laptop, but download the Live CD and boot from it, if WiFi works you can see WiFi networks off the live cd, if not you won't. Won't know unless you try =D. I have a Gateway NV53 and Wireless works great in Ubuntu 10.04 x64

Darkness Des
August 2nd, 2010, 07:16 AM
I use Ubuntu on my Laptop. Works perfectly.

Elmer Fudd
August 2nd, 2010, 07:19 AM
Run a live CD or USB. It will run slower than an full install but you will be able to sort out any hardware issues. I don't know what you have been looking at that suggests lucid is not suitable for laptops. 80 percent of the people that I have converted to Linux run laptops. Sorry, I don't have any expirience with the Dell.

theozzlives
August 2nd, 2010, 07:20 AM
My Dell Inspiron 1525 has run wifi since Gutsy.

hiloguy37
August 2nd, 2010, 07:28 AM
Wow! Talk about instant response! OK, thanks and I will give it another try. I love Ubuntu, have used it for years, but then in attempting to install it on newer computers I ran into all these issues and just got burnt out. I'm over it and ready to jump back in. This dual boot will be my new entry

Thanks!

kio_http
August 2nd, 2010, 07:31 AM
Wow! Talk about instant response! OK, thanks and I will give it another try. I love Ubuntu, have used it for years, but then in attempting to install it on newer computers I ran into all these issues and just got burnt out. I'm over it and ready to jump back in. This dual boot will be my new entry

Thanks!

Works on this laptop. I checked.

Maverick_Meerkat
August 2nd, 2010, 07:35 AM
Greetings,

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop that is five years old. It originally ran Windows 98. Now, I run a dual boot XP Pro custom install with Ubuntu as my default and primary OS.

I experienced no problems with Ubuntu recognizing my Atheros wireless modem. Everything auto-configured flawlessly upon installation. Furthermore, Ubuntu 10.04 runs faster, more efficiently, and requires less resources than my stripped down optimized, custom version of XP Pro!

The only slight complication is that to complete the Ubuntu installation process I had to boot into safe graphics mode. However, after that initial install Ubuntu boots in normal mode and everything is peachy!

So go ahead and give it a try.

anewguy
August 2nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
I'm even running regular 10.04 on my netbook.

As for wireless, it would help to know which wireless adapter you have, but if it works in Windows we should be able to get it working in ubuntu even if it means using the Windows drivers (they must be Windows XP drivers).

Dave;)

hiloguy37
August 22nd, 2010, 10:37 PM
I'm even running regular 10.04 on my netbook.

As for wireless, it would help to know which wireless adapter you have, but if it works in Windows we should be able to get it working in ubuntu even if it means using the Windows drivers (they must be Windows XP drivers).

Dave;)
I tried installing the correct Windows drivers and they are already installed. Thing is, Ubuntu 10.04 found and connected to the wireless connection all by itself the first time it booted up after I installed in inside Vista on this laptop (Dell XPS M1530). So whatever driver it needs is obviously already in and working. Why did it work once and never again?