PDA

View Full Version : When is a poster a necromancer?

chessnerd
August 2nd, 2010, 05:00 AM
In your opinion, how old does the thread need to be before you claim that the poster is practicing the dark art of raising from the dead?

I generally think that if a thread is older than 6 months that it qualifies as necromancy. A lot can happen in 6 months, especially in the world of technology, and by that point, an entirely new thread on the topic would probably be better.

---

Also, semi-related, and out of pure curiosity: are there actually any forum guidelines on posting to old threads or is it just dealt with by the mods on a case-by-case basis? The CoC doesn't appear to mention this.

AllRadioisDead
August 2nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
I believe the term is "Necroposter", not "Necromancer". A Necromancer is a sorcerer that controls the dead. (Unless we have any of those on the boards as well, in which case I retract my comment.)

KiwiNZ
August 2nd, 2010, 05:24 AM
The term is Necromancer and necromancing and staff make a decision case by case.

inobe
August 2nd, 2010, 05:24 AM
first off it starts at forum settings, for example if i search for a fix i end up with crap from three years ago ;)

of course that stuff is totally useless and a waste of hard drive space and the bandwidth used to get it, and a complete waste of time.

it doesn't interest me reading topics that old, i just often wonder why it was revived and who hit the reply button.

since things change every six months' can't we consider nuking stuff one and two years old ?

steve161
August 2nd, 2010, 05:31 AM
I thought the Necromancer was Sauron in disguise, in the Lord of the RIngs. New term for me. Isn't the following post always along the line of "dude, do you realize how old the last post is"?"

TNT1
August 2nd, 2010, 05:42 AM
Isn't the following post always along the line of "dude, do you realize how old the last post is"?"

I always go with "holy ancient thread, batman"...

AllRadioisDead
August 2nd, 2010, 05:46 AM
The term is Necromancer and necromancing and staff make a decision case by case.

Necromancy (pronounced /ˈnɛkrɵmænsi/; Greek νεκρομαντεία nekromantía, via Latin necromantia) is a form of magic in which the practitioner seeks to summon the spirit of a deceased person, either as an apparition or ghost, or to raise them bodily, for the purpose of divination.

KiwiNZ
August 2nd, 2010, 06:05 AM
Necromancy (pronounced /ˈnɛkrɵmænsi/; Greek νεκρομαντεία nekromantía, via Latin necromantia) is a form of magic in which the practitioner seeks to summon the spirit of a deceased person, either as an apparition or ghost, or to raise them bodily, for the purpose of divination.

OK I can't be bothered with look at me I think I know more arguments :rolleyes:

"In modern time necromancy is used as a more general term to describe the pretense of manipulation of death," in other words raising a thread from its death.

On that

Thread dead