PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Time to get rid of windows 7

TimEnid
August 2nd, 2010, 03:03 AM
but the boot loader is on the w7 hd. whats the best method to have the boot loader/gub switched to my ubuntu hd? i want to use the w7 hd as extra space.

is it possible to format the w7 hd, while in ubuntu, using gparted. then install the grub/boot loader on the ubuntu hd? will there be any setbacks from this?

anglican
August 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
but the boot loader is on the w7 hd. whats the best method to have the boot loader/gub switched to my ubuntu hd? i want to use the w7 hd as extra space.

is it possible to format the w7 hd, while in ubuntu, using gparted. then install the grub/boot loader on the ubuntu hd? will there be any setbacks from this?
Yes, I'd expect a re-partition of the w7 hd followed by a "sudo grub-install" to work.

H

TimEnid
August 3rd, 2010, 05:56 PM
Yes, I'd expect a re-partition of the w7 hd followed by a "sudo grub-install" to work.

H

thanks. but when i open gparted and click on the w7 drive, the option to format is greyed-out.

lucasart
August 3rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
thanks. but when i open gparted and click on the w7 drive, the option to format is greyed-out.
you have to it from a live CD and start gparted from the liveCD boot. but then before rebooting make sure grub starts on the other partition, otherwise you'll crash after bios on a grub console and that's really nasty, unless you're grub fluent ;)

Mark Phelps
August 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
Don't know of any way to "move" it, but the link below has details on how to install GRUB from a LiveCD:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

After that, I'd switch boot order in the BIOS to boot from the Ubuntu drive and you should be set to go.

It's possible the Win7 partition is mounted, in which case, Gparted won't let you do anything with it. Simply select the partition in GParted and unmount it. You should then be able to do whatever you want with it.