PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Visual Effects slow

Methos2
August 1st, 2010, 11:42 PM
I recently install Ubuntu 10.04 on my computer and enabled the top effects option when choosing desktop background, screensavers etc. It worked fine for a couple of days then started to take about 3-5 seconds up maximize any program it ran - it minizes them instantly but takes ages the opposite way around.

My laptop has a core duo processor, 3gb of RAM, a ATI 3400 512mb graphics card, when I ran Vista on it, it could easily handle Vista built in effects and run Crysis well on low settings - I very much doubt the problem is that my computer isnt powerful enough. Is there anyway I can get Ubuntu's special effects to work properly again? Atm normal effects wont work either - I am having to use the No Effects option.

modelck
August 2nd, 2010, 05:44 AM
I have read in different forums that Lucid Lynx and the drivers that come with it for ATI Radeon series video cards aren't fully supported. You can install the proprietary drivers but they aren't much better at this point. Even the X.org drivers aren't up to speed as they don't enable 3D acceleration and desktop compositing is still disabled (a bug I hope they fix)

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/man4/radeonhd.4.html

...for a list of fully supported hardware...