PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Screen and mouse don't line up after fresh install from CD

tc101
August 1st, 2010, 11:19 PM
I just did an install of 10.04 from a CD. Now the mouse pointer has to be slightly above a button to click on the button. Also, the bottom bar of the screen is just a thin line and you can't see any of the controls on it and the top bar is too thick, with empty space about the menu items. It is like the whole screen is pushed down slightly.

There is nothing wrong with the monitor or the mouse because it all worked fine with 7.10 ubuntu, which was on the computer before I did the fresh install from the CD.

tc101
August 2nd, 2010, 12:54 AM
This is strange but I seem to have fixed it.

I went into preferences/monitor and selected a new setting and applied it. It solved the problem, but then when I clicked apply to exit the settings screen, the problem came back. I went back, changed the setting again, and this time clicked close instead of apply and now everything works fine.

I don't understand what happened but but the screen and mouse line up fine now. I will leave this thread open for a few hours because if someone could explain to me how this works I would be interested.

tc101
August 2nd, 2010, 07:18 PM
What I wrote about before was just a temporary quick fix. The real solution was to install the Nevidia driver.

There should be something in ubuntu that prompts you to install needed drivers. I would like to suggest this to the designers. Where should I go to make this sort of suggestion?