PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help with grub, windows

ashwinroyan
August 1st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Summary
I have multiple partitions on a hard drive, wish to get some advice on structure, booting and grub.

Non summarized
I've had for a while now lucid, xp and windows 7 on my computer,

Filesystem
dev/sda1 - windows xp
Logical partitions

dev/sda5 - swap
dev/sda6 - /
dev/sda7 - /home
dev/sda8 - swap
dev/sda9 - Media(ntfs)
dev/sda10 - Windows 7
Recently, i decided to do away with windows xp so i formatted the partition, and got a Missing operating system error. I then installed Lucid on sda1 and from what i can see im only using it for grub. Is there any way to get my computer to be able to boot whilst keeping sda1 a data drive? (Moving the old oses to sda1?)I dont know how to get grub to work with sda1 being nothing. Also, I lost windows 7 on my grub list and cant seem to get it back. Did i loose its boot files with xp? Do i need to fixboot and mbr?

Thanks

drs305
August 1st, 2010, 05:05 PM
Read all before accomplishing.

To get Grub2 working on your system, you can run the LiveCD and from the Desktop:
Mount your Ubuntu partition and install to the drive. This will write to the sda MBR and install the grub files on the partition you designate in the first command. Note you do not designate a partition in the second command:

sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

Reboot and you will have your Ubuntu back; however ....

I am not a Windows guy, but I know prior to Win7 the Windows OS had to be on a primary partition with the * boot designation. I don't know if that also applies to Win7 or not. You probably lost your boot files when you got rid of XP.

The best option would be to get Windows 7 working again if it can be done from a logical partition, then install Grub. If W7 can reside on a logical partition, here is a link to restoring its ability to boot:
How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708)

Once you have recreated the W7 boot files in the proper location, install Grub2 and it should find your W7 install as well.

ashwinroyan
August 1st, 2010, 05:13 PM
Thank you very much.