PDA

View Full Version : I understood that linux don't have good ati gpu support is it true?

aviramof
August 1st, 2010, 05:42 AM
I have been told that Linux or ati drivers don't have good gpu support to the parallel technology of ati that is smiler to nvidia pure video is it true?

And that is why when i see movies there via linux there are times when the picture jumps a bit and it's not entirely smooth throughout the entire movie?

And if it's true is there any hope to fix it in maverick?

Thanks in advance.

cariboo
August 1st, 2010, 06:43 AM
The closed source ATI drivers are produced by AMD, Canonical/Ubuntu has nothing to do with them except repackaging them, you may be better off asking you questions relating to drivers here (http://forums.amd.com/devforum/).

Dustin2128
August 1st, 2010, 07:06 AM
eh, it's not as good as nvidia but it's getting better. As long as you have a supported card, you should be fine. Open drivers are also improving.

slooksterpsv
August 1st, 2010, 07:44 AM
The ATI drivers have worked great for me, I haven't really had any issues. I would recommend trying it out see how it fairs for you then choose from there.

I have a IGP HD 3200, worked great, IGP HD 4200, works great, and an ATI Radeon 4850 - works great as well.

MrNatewood
August 1st, 2010, 08:45 AM
if you have a multi-core processor try using mplayer-mt:
https://launchpad.net/~longinus00/+archive/mplayer-mt/
You need to add the PPA through System->Administration->Software Sources
And then do an update.

Sophont
August 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
Depends on what you want from your graphics card.

2D acceleration (office, browsing, some effects) - no problem. Works great (in my experience - particular cards might have problems). Don't need the proprietary driver at all. In fact in my experience the open source driver is already better for this.

3D acceleration (mainly games, etc...) - here things become muddy. There is the proprietary driver. Most features. Kinda works. Not great. Legacy cards no longer supported. Doesn't come close to the NVidia proprietary driver.

The newish open source drivers have been quickly gaining features or 3G acceleration. Legacy cards are relatively well supported by now. New cards still catching up. You can't really play games modern games with the open source driver yet. I hope it will be good enough by 10.10. There's almost weekly progress reports on Phoronix that sound promising enough.

The reason for the fast improvement in the ATI/AMD area is that after AMD bought ATI they started releasing specs and actively help support writing the new open source drivers.

And that's why I opted for an ATI card after years of playing games via wine on a NVidia card. In the past and present NVidia was the only good choice for gaming on Linux. But this is changing fast and I believe by next year we'll have excellent 3D accelerated open source ATI drivers.

And NVidia - for all their fast hardware and well supported proprietary drivers - has serious heat issues.

Primefalcon
August 1st, 2010, 03:01 PM
I have an x1300xt pro, not a new card but it runs great for me

forrestcupp
August 1st, 2010, 07:29 PM
It's probably more fair to say that ATI doesn't have very good Linux support.

NightwishFan
August 1st, 2010, 08:08 PM
The Intel Drivers run great for me, except for the performance lags behind Windows on some chips. However they are open source, support the kernel GEM code and Kernel Mode Setting. Some benchmarks report Linux having a huge advantage on newer Intel hardware.

Nvidia has the open source Nouveau driver, which is still working on 3D support. (Seems promising). It also has a well supported and high performing proprietary driver made by Nvidia themselves.

I have never used ATI, but I hear mixed result. It also has both an open and proprietary driver, but the open driver has 3d support.

Overall it is pretty good except some old archaic hardware I suppose. Generally 2d will always run pretty well. I barely use 3d, I am glad I have accelerated video though.

clhsharky
August 1st, 2010, 11:52 PM
Re: I understood that linux don't have good ati gpu support is it true?
No I don't find that to be true.
Is windows support better yes.

It's probably more fair to say that ATI doesn't have very good Linux support
I would say thats subjective.

FGLRX and Radeon have improved tremendously this last year.
FGLRX may be behind the NV blob but both need stability.
Open Source Stack Radeon driver is ahead of other OSS driver available.

The latest and greatest Operating System on older hardware may not make a better computer.
Software moves on hardware doesn't.
Quality hardware can give stable system and extend product life.
EOL(end of life) is inevitably, software and hardware. It seldom happens at same time.
After about 5 years personal computers have left there prime time. Hard ware may continue if quality was there. Drivers are mature and development will cease, hopefully maintainers will have enough interest for a few more years.

Get over it, enjoy.
Every thing comes to a end, everything.

Sharky

KdotJ
August 2nd, 2010, 12:14 AM
I'm using the open drivers for ATi on a ATi Radeon HD3200, they work great for me

forrestcupp
August 2nd, 2010, 01:12 AM
I would say thats subjective.

FGLRX and Radeon have improved tremendously this last year.
FGLRX may be behind the NV blob but both need stability.
Open Source Stack Radeon driver is ahead of other OSS driver available.

I know what you're saying, but my point was that it's more ATI/AMD's fault than Linux's fault as is implied by the thread title.

3rdalbum
August 2nd, 2010, 05:49 AM
Linux's support for GPUs is fine.

ATI's support for Linux leaves a lot to be desired.

Get rid of your ATI card and buy an Nvidia. You'll be happier.

aviramof
August 2nd, 2010, 05:52 AM
The fact is that with my Ati card i would better view movies in my windows 7 because in Ubuntu the picture jumps at times and also i have problems with activating dual view where as in windows 7/windows server 2008 i don't have this problem.

Now perhaps the problem is caused because maverick is still in testing or because there is yet an official fglrx driver that support x.org 1.8 but still something need to be done about this problems.

Zorgoth
August 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
The drivers are getting better with newer cards, although for the very newest cards you still have to get the drivers from ATI's website rather than the "Hardware Drivers" tool, which means you have to reinstall them with each kernel upgrade. I am using an ATI Mobility Radeon 5470 and while it is not quite as well supported as nVidia, it is very usable. I have everything working except a couple features in wine games and (completely unimportantly since I don't care) the water effect in compiz.

clhsharky
August 2nd, 2010, 10:04 PM
I have never found a perfect computer, a perfect operating system, or a perfect app. So choice is perfect for me, of course your mileage may vary.

We all know comparing operating systems, is like comparing
apple to oranges

But users refuse to believe and resist(they want it there way).

Snow Leopard - Win7 - Lucid
I like to look at it this way

apple - oranges - bananas
Each fruit has different nourishment(need), and/or pleasure(taste ect.)

Synopsis

Now if jack likes oranges, and wants a banana to taste like a orange, Is it a banana?. Now Jack should just eat a orange and be happy, but will miss the vitamins & minerals of the banana.

Of course there are many scenarios for comparison, but you get the ideal.

Moral - You cant have it all, all of the time.

I for one am thankful that all the tools are available to get the job done.

Sharky

Get rid of your ATI card and buy an Nvidia.
I also have 3 Nvidia cards, they didn't make me happier or sad.

I have more ATI cards than Nvidia, and use both all the time.
The main reason I have more ATI is I've had 2 Nvidias die and replaced them with ATI.

SunnyRabbiera
August 3rd, 2010, 12:17 AM
I think the future is good with ATI, sure right now the drivers are shaky but I think with the open drivers becoming very solid and the proprietary drivers slowly making progress there may be a day where ATI will rival NVIDIA in linux support.

lancest
August 3rd, 2010, 04:48 AM
Just got a MSI U230 (Radeon HD 3200 discrete Graphics), and the open source drivers for ATI are really great. I was surprised.

Compiz works fine and the splash screen and tty's have perfect resolution- unlike with the proprietary ATI.

BTW No heat issues like on my notebook with Nvidia.

Really happy that the FOSS drivers are coming on strong.

Spr0k3t
August 3rd, 2010, 05:40 AM
In the current state, ATI is going to only get better. AMD knew the drivers for the ATI cards (on all platforms) was horrid at best even though the hardware was top notch. Many things are starting to become of age with the open drivers. I still use nvidia primarily for most systems. If it's a laptop, I lean towards intel.

aviramof
August 3rd, 2010, 06:55 AM
What i am currently using is the fglrx driver from the x-swat ppa now compiz is working fine but as i said movies have jumps in them and i have problems with setting dual view.

if i were not to use fglrx but xorg/xserver or what ever i would not be able to reach high hd
resolutions or all the available resolutions in display manager and i would not have catalyst
and maybe compiz would work less good so this is my big problem i guess that fglrx can be less good sometimes then the open drivers.