PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip cab drivers if they smell bad?

Starring_Emma
July 31st, 2010, 11:12 PM
My sister and I went into town today and we took a cab home and I gave him exact change (no tip) because he smelled like a dumpster.

TheNerdAL
July 31st, 2010, 11:14 PM
Give him a deodorant as a tip. :P

razorboy5
July 31st, 2010, 11:20 PM
technically u dont have to tip anyone

but my dad taught me to tip $2 even for bad service

Hman242
July 31st, 2010, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't have tipped him. You're supposed to tip when someone's service was satisfactory. If he can't be kind enough to bathe or use deodorant then he shouldn't get a tip.

Giant Speck
July 31st, 2010, 11:46 PM
Since I've never had the misfortune of riding in a taxi driven by a man with a body odor problem, I cannot answer this thread's titular question. But hypothetically speaking, I don't think I would tip the driver in such a situation.

NovaAesa
August 1st, 2010, 12:17 AM
In Australia it's generally not required socially to tip anyway.

pwnst*r
August 1st, 2010, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't.

nubimax
August 1st, 2010, 12:24 AM
In Mexico you only tip a taxi driver if he does something special for you. IE: carry your bags in to the hotel or something of that nature. If the gas station attendant cleans your windshield or anything else you tip him/her.
M.

Legendary_Bibo
August 1st, 2010, 12:28 AM
I don't tip anyone. They're doing their job, it's not my job to pay your salary. For instance I go into a restaurant and order food, I won't tip. Why? Because waiters and waitresses make minimum wage even if they don't make their pay with tips. I can cook anything I've had a restaurant, and so I consider the higher price is due to the chef making it for me. I've done really crappy jobs for less than minimum wage so I don't feel sympathy for a waitress that has to carry a plate 3 feet and is forced to smile. That's their job. Scratch the "I don't tip anyone", I have actually tipped the chef before, and I do it in person if they do a job better than I could.

chriswyatt
August 1st, 2010, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I only tip if I feel I've had an exceptional service, or if I'm in a generous mood / drunk.* Taxis here in the UK are too expensive as it is.

Isn't there a culture in America where in certain places you HAVE to tip?! Surely that's a service charge, not a tip?

pwnst*r
August 1st, 2010, 12:30 AM
I don't tip anyone. They're doing their job, it's not my job to pay your salary. For instance I go into a restaurant and order food, I won't tip. Why? Because waiters and waitresses make minimum wage even if they don't make their pay with tips. I can cook anything I've had a restaurant, and so I consider the higher price is due to the chef making it for me. I've done really crappy jobs for less than minimum wage so I don't feel sympathy for a waitress that has to carry a plate 3 feet and is forced to smile. That's their job. Scratch the "I don't tip anyone", I have actually tipped the chef before, and I do it in person if they do a job better than I could.

Sounds like you're just cheap.

chris200x9
August 1st, 2010, 12:34 AM

I think they make under minimum wage on the grounds they do get tips.

edit: http://www.dol.gov/wb/faq26.htm

Legendary_Bibo
August 1st, 2010, 12:38 AM
Sounds like you're just cheap.

:p haha naw. You just develop a grudge when you find out how a waitress can make a couple hundred bucks over the weekend (4 hours a day mind you) when you had to work over 40 hours just to make that after taxes. I used to tip until I found out how much they can make.

pwnst*r
August 1st, 2010, 12:41 AM
Well they only make that if they're REALLY good at what they do.

Giant Speck
August 1st, 2010, 12:59 AM
Well they only make that if they're REALLY good at what they do.

Not true; physical appearance tends to help, as well.

Well, unless it's Hooter's. Then, of course, it's part of the job.

pwnst*r
August 1st, 2010, 01:00 AM
That's part of "workin' it"

schauerlich
August 1st, 2010, 01:27 AM
:p haha naw. You just develop a grudge when you find out how a waitress can make a couple hundred bucks over the weekend (4 hours a day mind you) when you had to work over 40 hours just to make that after taxes. I used to tip until I found out how much they can make.

Oh yeah, those waitresses, they're just rolling in the dough. :rolleyes:

I hate it when people are haughty towards retail/food service/customer service people.

Legendary_Bibo
August 1st, 2010, 01:35 AM
Oh yeah, those waitresses, they're just rolling in the dough. :rolleyes:

I hate it when people are haughty towards retail/food service/customer service people.

There are worse jobs that pay less. ;)

pwnst*r
August 1st, 2010, 01:56 AM
Lol, you're cheap AND you live in Scottsdale?

Legendary_Bibo
August 1st, 2010, 01:59 AM
Lol, you're cheap AND you live in Scottsdale?

There's North Scottsdale and South Scottsdale. I live in South Scottsdale, and there's a huge difference between peoples' incomes.

schauerlich
August 1st, 2010, 02:40 AM
There are worse jobs that pay less. ;)

You can use that excuse with any job.

Except poopsmith (http://www.homestarrunner.com/yearbookps.html). That's the lowest of lows.

Giant Speck
August 1st, 2010, 02:42 AM
ITT: Legendary_Bibo is jealous of waitresses.

Legendary_Bibo
August 1st, 2010, 02:47 AM
You can use that excuse with any job.

Except poopsmith (http://www.homestarrunner.com/yearbookps.html). That's the lowest of lows.

I shoveled horse manurer 40 hours a week for a month at minimum wage during summer. So yeah...unless a waitress gives me a "foot massage" I see no reason to tip her.

DougieFresh4U
August 1st, 2010, 02:49 AM
Don't know where you get your info, but waiters and waitress do NOT get paid the minimum wage. I was a waiter for over 20 years and worked for Disney World/Pleasure Island and never got minimum wage. My pay was about $3 less than minimum wage.
Please don't get me started on tipping:roll:

Legendary_Bibo
August 1st, 2010, 02:51 AM
Don't know where you get your info, but waiters and waitress do NOT get paid the minimum wage. I was a waiter for over 20 years and worked for Disney World/Pleasure Island and never got minimum wage. My pay was about $3 less than minimum wage.
Please don't get me started on tipping:roll:

They changed the law back in 2009 IIRC.

DougieFresh4U
August 1st, 2010, 03:27 AM
They changed the law back in 2009 IIRC.
Ok, I will take back some of what I said. But the employer still uses tips to base what they will pay to waiter/waitress:
From the United States Dept. of Labor (http://www.dol.gov/wb/faq26.htm)

According to the Fair Labor Standards Act, tipped employees are individuals engaged in occupations in which they customarily and regularly receive more than $30 a month in tips. The employer may consider tips as part of wages, but the employer must pay at least $2.13 an hour in direct wages.

An employer may credit a portion of a tipped employee's tips against the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. An employer must pay at least $2.13 per hour. However, if an employee's tips combined with the employer's wage of $2.13 per hour do not equal the hourly minimum wage, the employer is required to make up the difference.

The employer who elects to use the tip credit provision must inform the employee in advance and must be able to show that the employee receives at least the applicable minimum wage (see above) when direct wages and the tip credit allowance are combined. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Also, employees must retain all of their tips, except to the extent that they participate in a valid tip pooling or sharing arrangement.

Any ways, this thread is about cab drivers, so back on track, I have never taken a cab.

Legendary_Bibo
August 1st, 2010, 03:35 AM
Ok, I will take back some of what I said. But the employer still uses tips to base what they will pay to waiter/waitress:
From the United States Dept. of Labor (http://www.dol.gov/wb/faq26.htm)

According to the Fair Labor Standards Act, tipped employees are individuals engaged in occupations in which they customarily and regularly receive more than $30 a month in tips. The employer may consider tips as part of wages, but the employer must pay at least $2.13 an hour in direct wages.

An employer may credit a portion of a tipped employee's tips against the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. An employer must pay at least $2.13 per hour. However, if an employee's tips combined with the employer's wage of $2.13 per hour do not equal the hourly minimum wage, the employer is required to make up the difference.

The employer who elects to use the tip credit provision must inform the employee in advance and must be able to show that the employee receives at least the applicable minimum wage (see above) when direct wages and the tip credit allowance are combined. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Also, employees must retain all of their tips, except to the extent that they participate in a valid tip pooling or sharing arrangement.

Any ways, this thread is about cab drivers, so back on track, I have never taken a cab.

Yep, which defeats the whole risk of taking on such a job.

chriswyatt
August 1st, 2010, 04:01 AM
ITT: Legendary_Bibo is jealous of waitresses.

I don't blame him. I used to have a washing up job and no one ever tipped me for the clean plate that they were eating off, not one! Also chefs rarely got tipped as well, waiters/waitresses take most of the glory sadly.

I suppose it's the customers' faults for forgetting about the hot, sweaty chefs and the pot-washers.

kajankow
August 1st, 2010, 04:20 AM
So what if they are rich or "rolling in it" or not as fortunate as me. Just giving them a few bucks makes me feel good and it will help them somewhere down the line in life. And even if it does not, I feel good doing it.

schauerlich
August 1st, 2010, 04:55 AM
I shoveled horse manurer 40 hours a week for a month at minimum wage during summer. So yeah...unless a waitress gives me a "foot massage" I see no reason to tip her.

I'll make sure to tip my next poopsmith, then.

neoargon
August 1st, 2010, 07:42 AM
The custom of giving tip is only in rich countries , so I can't answer

hansdown
August 1st, 2010, 07:51 AM
I don't suffer from egocentrism, so I tip for good service.