PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu remotely from Vista?

Pav3
July 31st, 2010, 10:58 PM
Im very new to Ubuntu and am setting up a home server with ubuntu 10.04 on it. I would like to access it remotely through my desktop running Vista. Is it possible to access the ubuntu server remotely through my windows vista desktop?

davidmohammed
July 31st, 2010, 11:11 PM
assuming you have just the command line version of ubuntu server (i.e. you havent installed a gui) then I would download PuTTY - this will enable you to ssh/rlogin to your ubuntu server.

uRock
July 31st, 2010, 11:12 PM
Yes, you need Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/%7Esgtatham/putty/) installed on the Vista machine. And the server needs to have openssh-serer installed if it doesn't already.

Pav3
August 1st, 2010, 12:51 AM
Would Putty work with ubuntu desktop 10.04? Using a GUI would help me out. Also, the computer I that want running putty uses AMD64 (which I dont think putty supports). Are there alternative programs to view a 10.04 GUI on a x64 Vista AMD64 pc??

uRock
August 1st, 2010, 01:21 AM
Would Putty work with ubuntu desktop 10.04? Using a GUI would help me out. Also, the computer I that want running putty uses AMD64 (which I dont think putty supports). Are there alternative programs to view a 10.04 GUI on a x64 Vista AMD64 pc??
x86 programs work fine on 64bit Windows systems. You don't install putty on the ubuntu system. Putty is just a SSH client for remotely running commands on a UNIX/Linux systems.