PDA

View Full Version : ati catalyst 10.7 makes my graphics card overheat

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2010, 09:36 PM
So I installed the new ati driver to fix my flickering cairo dock, which it did, but at the cost of causing artifacting, and other things like compiz effects not working correctly. The artifacting occurred after a while, and when looking at my laptop's temperature it was at 53C a few minutes after bootup which was strange because normally it's at around 40C and maintains that until I do something CPU intensive. I then realized the new driver was making my graphics card overheat for no apparent reason. So yeah, it's buggy. Good thing it was an easy fix, all I had to do was click on the fglrx driver in Hardware Drivers and it overwrote it. I'll live with a flickering cairo, but not a fried graphics card.

DoktorSeven
July 31st, 2010, 10:08 PM
I have completely given up on the proprietary (fglrx) drivers and gone to radeon. Surprisingly they will run even some games very well, and they are infinitely more stable and robust.

I'm not going back to fglrx anytime soon.

hamidoo
August 1st, 2010, 12:45 PM
I have completely given up on the proprietary (fglrx) drivers and gone to radeon. Surprisingly they will run even some games very well, and they are infinitely more stable and robust.

I'm not going back to fglrx anytime soon.

Well, how do you manage the HEAT doc!

i have 3650 and it heat the hell out of my laptop with the openspource radeon drivers :(

so far catalyst 10.6 is perfect for me!