PDA

View Full Version : Windows key on keyboard

TNT1
July 31st, 2010, 09:12 PM
Dunno if that's what it's called, but what do y'all do with it?

_h_
July 31st, 2010, 09:35 PM
To bring up my Windows start menu.

bigseb
July 31st, 2010, 09:36 PM
I use it for keyboard shortcuts eg mod + t for terminal, mod + f for firefox, and so on...

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2010, 09:40 PM
I use it for keyboard shortcuts eg mod + t for terminal, mod + f for firefox, and so on...

That's a better idea then what I do, I have it at the default (Ctrl+Alt+Whatever). Ctrl+Alt+R For root filebrowser, Ctrl+Alt+T for Terminal, Ctrl+Alt+F for fixing my screen resolution because of Steam, Ctrl+Alt+S for Synaptic, Ctrl+Alt+G for Gimp, etc. etc.

DoktorSeven
July 31st, 2010, 10:04 PM
Several shortcuts like Meta+L for lock screen, several keys to control media player, etc.

It's very useful.

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2010, 10:08 PM
Several shortcuts like Meta+L for lock screen, several keys to control media player, etc.

It's very useful.

What is this key called? I've heard it been called the Mod, Super, and now Meta key.

jerenept
July 31st, 2010, 10:13 PM
What is this key called? I've heard it been called the Mod, Super, and now Meta key.

It's whatever you want it to be (Ubuntu's "Keyboard Shortcuts" calls it the "Mod4 key")

NightwishFan
July 31st, 2010, 10:18 PM
I call it Meta or the Flag Key when I describe it to someone. It powers my Gnome Shell, so I plan on hiding the flag.

mcduck
July 31st, 2010, 10:24 PM
Meta key and Super key are the oldest used names for that key (dating to old MIT and Sun systems, long before Microsoft stuck their logo on it).

"Mod" would be appropriate, and you'll definitely see that in keyboard layout settings, but it's not an actual name for any key, it just means any key that is used as a modifier instead of inputting actual characters. Of course "Meta" has a similar meaning which is why I prefer calling it the Super key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_key
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_key_%28keyboard_button%29

Marlonsm
July 31st, 2010, 10:33 PM
Usually Gnome calls it Super and KDE, Meta.
But whenever you see a key with a random name, that's the Windows key.

You can assign it to whatever you want, same goes to the menu key (that one to the right of the space bar, that nobody uses).

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2010, 10:45 PM
Usually Gnome calls it Super and KDE, Meta.
But whenever you see a key with a random name, that's the Windows key.

You can assign it to whatever you want, same goes to the menu key (that one to the right of the space bar, that nobody uses).

Oh I've never seen that guy there. It acts as a right click for me. Sweet I have another function key to mess with.

I wish Compiz could identify the difference between right and left Ctrl and Alt.

TheNerdAL
July 31st, 2010, 10:59 PM
I just punch it and be like "Take that Windows!" :p

Zorgoth
August 1st, 2010, 02:30 AM
I use the left win key as "Super" for compiz shortcuts, and right win to change keyboard layouts while pressed (I use it for Greek letters, which is useful for me because I do math); on my laptop I use left Super for Greek letters and Menu to change keyboard layouts while pressed. All of this can be done within ccsm and System>Preferences>Keyboard (or KDE's equivalent for keyboard layout management).

Dustin2128
August 1st, 2010, 07:08 AM
tape a little tux picture over it and call it the linux key. In emacs though, I believe the alt key is defined as meta.

TNT1
August 1st, 2010, 07:18 AM
I just punch it and be like "Take that Windows!" :p

Nice!
:D

Frogs Hair
August 1st, 2010, 03:47 PM
I have a windows key because I'm using the keyboard from my now recycled Gateway. I have volume , email , and dvd controls that no longer function without the original driver . Guess what I want for Christmas ?

beercz
August 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Whilst browsing this thread I just noticed that my Windows key is covered in dust! (As have my Alt-Gr key and the 'Right-Click' context menu key). All the other keys on my laptop are dust free :-)

I obviously don't use the dusty keys much! I do use my laptop a lot!

Zorgoth
August 3rd, 2010, 05:53 PM
No dusty keys on my laptop (Win is keyboard layout switch while pressed, AltGr chooses third level of keyboard layout, Menu is Super for compiz, etc

)

RiceMonster
August 3rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
If you mean "what do I do with the phyical key on the keyboard", I leave it.

If you're asking if I use it for any shortcuts on Linux, I use assign it to a number of window management shotcuts. Such as Windows+arrow keys = change workspaces.

pricetech
August 3rd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Just don't call it a "windows" key if you're using Linux because tiny penguins will crawl out of it and consume you.

(yes I've told that one before)

ChrisNZ
August 15th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Hi

I too use the W***** Mod Key, well I used to!
After updating to Ubuntu lucid 10.04 it lost its functionality (yeh haha joke) but really... I used it for the windows tile function ie the Mod + Tab. It was buy chance that I found the function together some months ago, cause usually the Alt + Tab keys give you the diff screens (lets try not using the term windows? !) It used to come up with a cool Ipod like screen scroll as best as i can describe it. You could 'scroll' the 'screens' from left to center view a mini screen then to right and so forth. I think from memory it showed ALL Open App's not just the current "Desk" I kind would like that feature back, rather than the old "windows version look alike" in the center of my screen using the alt + tab which by the way only shows 'Current Desk' app's :(

So Linux guys... how do i get this back or was it a separate software installed... called...???

TIA

Linux rocks

\\:D/

ChrisNZ
August 15th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I tried looking through the synaptic packs but difficult to narrow what a program could be called. Cube window manager, window box view manager??

barnaclebill18
August 15th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I requested a sticker from System 76, and besides the one to cover the Windows sticker on the laptop, they included a small Ubuntu logo sticker to cover that key.

fatality_uk
August 15th, 2010, 11:52 PM
As well as using BlueProximity, I use META+L to secure my Laptop at work.

PaulW2U
August 16th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Post deleted - some strange effects encountered by my modifications.