PDA

View Full Version : Windows App that Only run under Linux

Ioky
July 31st, 2010, 08:01 PM
Have anyone of you encounter some Old or New Windows App/Games that no long work under Windows, but work great under Linux/Wine?

Like Seriously, that is totally stupid, most of my old windows games, including many Japanese, Chinese, and English title, no longer work under Windows, but run Great in Linux. I mean - What?

Sound totally ironic and funny.

nrs
July 31st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Yup. Axis & Allies Iron Blitz.

Kimm
July 31st, 2010, 09:12 PM
Grim Fandango, It doesn't run perfectly in Wine though (but totally playable)

bigseb
July 31st, 2010, 09:39 PM
This is one thread I would love to see grow!! Unfortunately nothing to add myself... :(

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2010, 09:44 PM
System Shock 2 didn't work for me on Vista unless I ran it through DOS box for some reason. With Wine it just worked, a few issues, but nothing killer.

donkyhotay
July 31st, 2010, 10:06 PM
Almost any DOS program, my friend and I used to play descent all the time on DOS and win95 however when XP came out, descent wasn't playable in winXP natively but it ran perfectly on my linux system using dosbox.

//edit: Also, I can play starcraft1 easier through wine then my friend with win7 can. He has to deal with graphic distortions worse then the oddities I have to put up with in wine. Admittedly getting to that point is much harder with wine but it does run better once I've got it going.

NightwishFan
July 31st, 2010, 10:17 PM
I never has a system that could play Arcanum without crashing or having graphical glitches, but Wine 1.0 does it just fine. :)

Xianath
July 31st, 2010, 11:00 PM
Almost any DOS program, my friend and I used to play descent all the time on DOS and win95 however when XP came out, descent wasn't playable in winXP natively but it ran perfectly on my linux system using dosbox.

w00t Descent! Same here. I once won a bet that I could walk another player through levels 1-7 without looking at the screen. Earned me a case of beer, that bet. Once we had a lan party (of two computers, LOL -- but that's what you get with serial cable) at home and went through D1 and D2 without ever getting up except for a pee break here and there. I swear I saw the guy strafe right to peek through the living room door before he would get in! 14 hours of 6DOF action, and lots of beer can do that to you :)

Accidentally, I recently dug out my D3/Merc CDs and my trusty Wingman Force 3D and went at it again. Must be getting old though, I can no longer tricord properly :(

Back on topic, Forte Agent was one of these. It stopped working in some Windows update (back in the 98 days I think, could be early XP) and it took Wine over a year to catch up (then it stopped working in Wine, too).

TheWeakSleep
August 1st, 2010, 06:29 AM
Also, I can play starcraft1 easier through wine then my friend with win7 can. He has to deal with graphic distortions worse then the oddities I have to put up with in wine. Admittedly getting to that point is much harder with wine but it does run better once I've got it going.

I agree, I just installed starcraft the other day, it runs way better then i remember it when it first came out. :p

Dustin2128
August 1st, 2010, 06:43 AM
Ironic eh? Windows gums up their system with backwards compatibility, and some of the older NT and most 9x apps still work better with wine. Starcraft 1 runs a lot better with wine than on my brother's windows 7 laptop too, sorry for mirroring an above post.

Åtta
August 1st, 2010, 09:00 AM
Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2. Took some futzing about to get them to work properly in Wine (I had to replace my ATI card with an Nvidia one), but once they were working, they worked almost perfectly. The games don't work at all under Windows 7.

SagnaB
August 1st, 2010, 10:18 AM
Yet another reason I dislike MS

tadcan
August 1st, 2010, 11:04 AM
They should make a windows version of wine so others can play old software..... ;)

In fairness to win7 and starcarft, you can run it in compatibility mode, reduce the resolution and colours to make it work.

NightwishFan
August 1st, 2010, 11:38 AM
Windows has fairly good backwards compatibility I think.

limestone
August 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
There are many games "rebuilt" to work on newer Windows platforms, like GTA2, calssic:D I think Stronghold no longer works, and my favourite Total Annihlation :P

chriswyatt
August 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM
Windows has fairly good backwards compatibility I think.

Not with games sadly, backwards compatibility with games is quite poor.

Primefalcon
August 1st, 2010, 02:50 PM
The old Microsoft sound card from 95 which MS no longer support still runs fine under Ubuntu, does that count?

forrestcupp
August 1st, 2010, 07:36 PM
This isn't the same, but a while back I lost my key to Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I couldn't reinstall it in Windows, but I was able to install it and play it in Linux with the native installer. I think I had a Soldier of Fortune game that was the same.

I have plenty of games that won't run in Windows or Linux, though. Motoracer was one of my favorites. I just had to throw it away because it won't run on anything.

NFblaze
August 1st, 2010, 07:44 PM
I never has a system that could play Arcanum without crashing or having graphical glitches, but Wine 1.0 does it just fine. :)

Hey does Arcanum still have an online presence?

NightwishFan
August 1st, 2010, 07:46 PM
No sir, unless you find some hardcore folks that host a lan. :)

Windows Nerd
August 1st, 2010, 07:49 PM
I agree, I just installed starcraft the other day, it runs way better then i remember it when it first came out. :p

You don't get the annoying glitch when you go on Battle.net? Has Wine FINALLY fixed it? It's no so much a glitch, just an appearence thing.

TheWeakSleep
August 1st, 2010, 09:28 PM
Can you describe it? Is it where the text kind of overlaps eachother? if that's the one, i havent seen it since i installed it

Windows Nerd
August 27th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Can you describe it? Is it where the text kind of overlaps eachother? if that's the one, i havent seen it since i installed it

Lol I just remembered I had actually posted this :).

Yeah the one when you log onto battle.net and there is not drawn background and the text overlaps each other.