PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Applications and System Menu not working

Foxdog01
July 31st, 2010, 04:24 PM
Hello, this is my first post. I am running 10.4 installed by iso image CD-ROM (entire hard drive). It has been working fine for a few weeks until earlier this morning I was in the Menu Editor just seeing what options it offered (I am still new and exploring). While that menu was up, my 1 year old son pressed the power button and shut down my computer. When I restarted my Applications and System menu did not work right. Applications just turns gray when you click it and does not drop down any options. System only drops down Help & Support, About GNOME and About Ubuntu. I have rebooted and logged out and back in, the condition still exists. If I start guest session the menus do work properly. Also, items from quick launch bar work properly such as the Internet browser I am using to type this inquiry. In searching the forums I came across user with same issue in Feb, but it was not replied to.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

mc4man
July 31st, 2010, 04:39 PM
Haven't seen this scenario - shutdown while menu editor was open

I'd try this -
open your home folder -> View -> 'Show Hidden Files', then scroll down and open .config folder -> menus
Inside will be 2 files - applications.menu and settings .menu
Right click on both - Move to trash and see if the menus return.

Foxdog01
July 31st, 2010, 04:59 PM
They did come back. So am I good to go? Should I reboot? Is it safe to empty the trash?

Thanks very much!!!!

mc4man
July 31st, 2010, 05:19 PM
Is it safe to empty the trash?
yep, you should be fine now

Foxdog01
July 31st, 2010, 05:59 PM
Thanks again!