PDA

View Full Version : New kde package manager - muon

neoargon
July 31st, 2010, 04:03 PM
A few days ago Jonathan Thomas announced the new KDE package manager for Kubuntu named Muon . I installed it and tested . It is far better than kpackagekit . Gives accurate search results as well as resolves dependencies accurately . Many advanced features like downgrading packages, changing package sources while installing etc are in the road map . Jonathan plans to write a software center like app too
I think in the future versions, Kubuntu will become a better implementation of KDE . What are your thoughts ?

Here's the announcement
(http://jontheechidna.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/introducing-qapt-and-the-muon-package-manager/)
Here's the ppa (https://edge.launchpad.net/%7Eechidnaman/+archive/qapt/)

Now it's in the beta stage (http://jontheechidna.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/qapt-and-muon-0-4-1-0-beta/) . Final will arrive within 2 or 3 weeks I suppose . It is stable enough for everyday use now, in my opinion

neoargon
July 31st, 2010, 04:18 PM
Here's the link to blog post http://jontheechidna.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/introducing-qapt-and-the-muon-package-manager/

NightwishFan
July 31st, 2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks for posting. Sounds interesting!

neoargon
July 31st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks for posting. Sounds interesting!
Kpackagekit will not be sent to Trash until 11.04 . That's the bad thing

markinf
July 31st, 2010, 05:50 PM
Thats great, I always installed synaptic on kubuntu :/ due to the confusing interface of kpackagekit :D

murderslastcrow
July 31st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hm. I'm glad they have the categories here! May use it now, but the main feature I want is like in the Software Center, where it shows the actual GRAPHICAL ICON of the program next to the name, so first of all you know it's a program, not just a package, and second of all it's more recognizable.

Seriously, this is the real problem that has arisen with KPackagekit's implementation.

To be totally honest, I support Packagekit all the way in its goals to unify everything, and I think it does a great job so far, but the interface is preventing its adoption. It's sad, since from a technical point of view Packagekit is the best thing ever. But visually it's just not there AT ALL.

How hard would it be for the devs to make categories and include icons? Seriously, is it really that hard to code? This is just obvious, it's been that way with Add/Remove forever. What's taking so long??

neoargon
July 31st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Hm. I'm glad they have the categories here! May use it now, but the main feature I want is like in the Software Center, where it shows the actual GRAPHICAL ICON of the program next to the name, so first of all you know it's a program, not just a package, and second of all it's more recognizable.

Seriously, this is the real problem that has arisen with KPackagekit's implementation.

To be totally honest, I support Packagekit all the way in its goals to unify everything, and I think it does a great job so far, but the interface is preventing its adoption. It's sad, since from a technical point of view Packagekit is the best thing ever. But visually it's just not there AT ALL.

How hard would it be for the devs to make categories and include icons? Seriously, is it really that hard to code? This is just obvious, it's been that way with Add/Remove forever. What's taking so long??

A software center like app is planned . But the work will be started only after the stable version of muon is released .

It is easy to find the package that is the application . To install firefox, install the package named firefox alone ie without dbg, bin etc

isaacj87
August 5th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I'm liking this new project! I can't believe I skipped over it previously while looking at Planet KDE.

It's a shame this can't be used on other KDE distributions, such as OpenSUSE. But this is great news for Kubuntu.

nerdopolis
August 6th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Judging by the screenshot, it seems that there is no "installed size" or "download size" columns...

If they can manage to bring those in, that would be awesome...

dualscreenman
August 7th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Installed size and download size are indeed present, but just not in that screenshot. They are in the "Technical Details" tab.

neoargon
August 7th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Judging by the screenshot, it seems that there is no "installed size" or "download size" columns...

If they can manage to bring those in, that would be awesome...

The screenshot is that of a previous version . The current version has that feature .

kio_http
August 7th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Great! I hope this evolves into an ideal package manager!

Teunis
August 15th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Great news because KPackageKit is POSH.
Although Synaptic is powerful and complete it has the dated outlay that reminds me of things Gnome.
So far I've been reasonably happy with Adept but it's development has all but stopped.

I've just tried it to install hot-babe and must say it looks and feels good!

(I mean muon)

NormanFLinux
August 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM
What's wrong with Synaptic? Kubuntu keeps changing package managers every couple of years! Ubuntu has never had a problem with Synaptic and its not really necessary to re-invent the wheel... er, the package manager. Kubuntu should leave well enough alone!

SeaJey
January 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
What's wrong with Synaptic?

Gtk and some following GNOME dependencies, and not so best integration with KDE.

scrub jay
January 6th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Gtk and some following GNOME dependencies, and not so best integration with KDE.

My only two main gripes so far with Muon versus Synaptic is:

1. Not having the option of changes viewable via Terminal, which is quite helpful in error information and resolution.

2. Not having a readily availability of adding suggested packages as is possible with Synaptic via the drop down menu.

Despite those two issues (and a handful of niggling minor ones), I find Muon a decent alternative to Synaptic, though I have no problem installing some non Qt dependencies to use what I consider the best package manager to date.

sffvba[e0rt
January 6th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Back to sleep thread.