PDA

View Full Version : Access another process's memoy with a twist

astropirit
July 31st, 2010, 11:34 AM
I have been looking for a method for a while now that would allow me to access another process's memory without causing it to freeze. But with all of my googling I have found nothing :-(

so, my question is: Is there a way to not lock a process while accessing it's "/proc/[PID]/mem" interface?

Thanks!

PaulM1985
July 31st, 2010, 12:41 PM
This can be done with Java and C# by creating remote objects. You create a remote object which acts as a server and the client (which is on another process) can then connect to this object and call methods and view the public instance variables of the object.

For C# google "Remoting" and for Java google "RMI"

Paul

astropirit
July 31st, 2010, 12:54 PM
thanks for you reply, I understand IPC, however in this scenario I am working with an unknown process which isn't written by me.

napsy
July 31st, 2010, 01:19 PM
It's impossible (at least I don't know of a way) to access other process memory without explicit support from that process. The address space of the process is protected by the system so you can't just access it's memory.

astropirit
July 31st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Actually, you can using the ptrace() system call and /proc/[PID]/map + /proc/[PID]/mem interfaces. I'm looking for a work around for the problem of the process waiting while being read. It doesn't crash the process it just makes it wait while your process is reading and writing to it's virtual memory.