PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting a blank screen after install with Intel GM HG chip

mmattax
July 31st, 2010, 04:23 AM
I have attempted to install Ubuntu 10.04 on a new DELL Latitude E5510 to no avail. I get a blank screen throughout the Live CD. I tried the alternate install CD, the install goes smoothly but when I boot up I get a blank screen for Grub and the OS.

I can hear the startup sound so I know Ubuntu is booted. I then try CTRL + ALT + F1 to get into a console, but have not been able to do so.

The laptop has a Intel i5 core processor and has an Intel GMA HD graphics chip.

I assume that my graphics chip is not supported out of the box, how can I get Ubuntu up and running? I have also tried Fedora and openSUSE and get the same display problems.

Revolutionary101
July 31st, 2010, 05:00 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but...

It looks like the i series processors with graphics on the CPU (aka codename Arrandale) seem to be having problems with Ubuntu 10.04 and other Linux distros. This link will show you that you are not alone:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1523067

This is, what seems to be, a Linux kernel issue. These means that the Ubuntu team has no way to change it until the Linux kernel is updated and supports the graphics on these processors.

Fiery Spirited
August 18th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I have a newly purchased Dell Latitude E5510 with an i5 and did a clean install on it with 10.04. I did not encounter any problem with the graphics. The kernel I am using is 2.6.32-24-generic.

Could it perhaps be some BIOS setting that is preventing your system from functioning properly?

sparcz
September 3rd, 2010, 08:21 AM
I got an E5510 yesterday (Sept 2010)and created an installation cd from the latest download from Ubuntu. Can't make it work at all! I have tried every possible combination of options, the screen goes black sooner or later and then I am stuck. Can't even enter a shell to examine what's wrong !!!

onetanzania
November 12th, 2010, 08:12 AM
same to me i have installed the new 10.10 ubuntu notebook remix in my laptop dell latitude e5510 i have two problem first failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled error on boot then the screen goes black but i can here welcome sound.
Any ideas how to solve this issue:confused:
thanks