PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome panels permanently hidden?

decomp
July 31st, 2010, 02:37 AM
Hi all,

So in gnome, I create a new panel, set it to the left or right side, and disable expand. Then I open gconf-editor and adjust the key '/apps/panel/toplevels/panel_2/hide_delay' (as well as unhide delay) to a value of 0 - as well as disable animations for the panel so that it will open and close instantly. That's how I like it :)

But now every time I reboot the panel is permanently hidden and won't respond to mouse over. To get it to show again I have to change one of it's values in gconf. then it will show again and behave as normally.

Any ideas how to make it show normally?

hariks0
July 31st, 2010, 09:04 AM
Change the settings in Ubuntu Tweak.
:popcorn:

decomp
August 1st, 2010, 02:28 AM
Hi hariks0,

adjusting 'enable panel animations' in ubuntu tweak had no effect - on panel animations, or on the panel's visibility. I've tried deleting and recreating the panels with no change, except that now I find I have a 'phantom' panel known as panel_1 which I can not force to appear in any way, and therefore cannot remove.

So add to original question, 'how do I delete a panel I can't see?'

Thanks! :)

Ginsu543
August 1st, 2010, 05:47 AM
I had exactly the same problem as you. I had panel animations turned off using gconf-editor, which worked fine under Karmic. It worked when I first installed Lucid. But after one of the system updates, it no longer worked. Like you, the panel would disappear upon reboot and I had to go back into gconf-editor to turn panel animation back on and then off again to get it back.

My solution: I now just keep panel animation on with the delay set to 0. The panel remains visible after reboot if I do that. I don't know what changed to make it not work anymore, but it's a small thing.