PDA

View Full Version : The most insane graphical experience you've ever had with open drivers

Dustin2128
July 30th, 2010, 10:45 PM
A little background: My integrated intel graphics card has zero linux support, so I'm forced to use open drivers which actually aren't that bad now, compared to two or three years ago when I had to enable propritary drivers to get compiz to work at all on my desktop with a dedicated nvidia card. I got bored due to an internet outage so I tried to see how many effects I could have going at once while using compiz fusion and lxde. I had flames on the screen, rain, 3D windows, gears, animated skydome, and a translucent desktop cube all running at once with minimal slowdown.

_h_
July 30th, 2010, 10:51 PM
By open drivers, you mean the ones from Intel Linux Graphics or the ones from xorg?

Dustin2128
July 31st, 2010, 03:01 AM
By open drivers, you mean the ones from Intel Linux Graphics or the ones from xorg?
ones from xorg

cariboo
July 31st, 2010, 06:48 AM
There are no closed source Intel graphics drivers for Linux. As far as I remember they always been open source.

Dustin2128
July 31st, 2010, 06:52 AM
There are no closed source Intel graphics drivers for Linux. As far as I remember they always been open source.
well the thing is that I can't find the driver for my particular card so I really have to use xorg open drivers. Which are quite excellent compared to the state a few years ago. Still can't play regnum like I could when this laptop ran vista, but oh well.