PDA

View Full Version : What's better a VGA Cable or DVI?

TheNerdAL
July 30th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I found out I had a DVI cable that my friend gave and I put it on my main monitor and rebooted and the splash screen looked like it is supposed to be in Ubuntu 10.04 and not the ugly one.

I would like to know what is better VGA or DVI. Thanks. :)

samalex
July 30th, 2010, 08:58 PM
VGA is analog and DVI is digital, so DVI should be clearer. For a while my dual monitor system at work had VGA on one display and DVI on the other, and I could totally tell the difference. It's now running DVI on both, so much joy :)

Sam

TheNerdAL
July 30th, 2010, 09:04 PM
VGA is analog and DVI is digital, so DVI should be clearer. For a while my dual monitor system at work had VGA on one display and DVI on the other, and I could totally tell the difference. It's now running DVI on both, so much joy :)

Sam

Lol, yeah I have my TV screen and main monitor connected because I was bored and I have VGA on the TV screen and DVI on my main monitor. Now my TV screen has a huge screen and it had a less resolution than my monitor I think, or maybe that's the highest my video card can go. Well, my main monitor looks better than the TV screen. :P

SunnyRabbiera
July 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Both suck actually, VGA has the issue of the pins getting bent and DVI has the issue of being oversized... Honestly does the DVI connector have to be that big, could it have been smaller?

alphaniner
July 30th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Honestly does the DVI connector have to be that big, could it have been smaller?

The DVI cable can also carry the analog VGA signal, which accounts for at least some of its girth.

Dustin2128
July 30th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Lol, yeah I have my TV screen and main monitor connected because I was bored and I have VGA on the TV screen and DVI on my main monitor. Now my TV screen has a huge screen and it had a less resolution than my monitor I think, or maybe that's the highest my video card can go. Well, my main monitor looks better than the TV screen. :P
well most TVs are lower resolution than monitors anyway. Only HDTVs at 1920×1080 come close. DVI does give better quality than vga though.

Barrucadu
July 30th, 2010, 11:08 PM
DVI-D is also a subset of the HDMI standard (or something like that), thus you can just use a converter cable to plug a DVI output into a HDTV, which is pretty much all new TVs now.

marshmallow1304
July 31st, 2010, 02:15 AM
I've never been able to tell the difference (in picture quality that is).

doorknob60
July 31st, 2010, 07:11 AM
I've never owned anything that supports DVI input, not even my LCD TV (tt has VGA and HDMI though, plenty for me), and I don't have any DVI cables either :P I'm happy with VGA, but then again, I'm happy with my 17" (I think 17...) Dell CRT monitor, so whatever :P