PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz slow in Lucid kernel, run normail in karmic kernel

donnykurnia
July 30th, 2010, 01:22 PM
First, if this question is in a wrong category, please edit and move it in the correct one.

When Lucid released, I upgrade the Karmic in my Thinkpad R61 using
apt-get dist-upgrade

The upgrade went smooth, with some minor problems like no sound, but I have fix it using this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

One things that remains until today is that when I'm using latest kernel (right now 2.6.32-24), the compiz run very slow, make the whole desktop unusable. When compiz is killed and using metacity, the desktop is running in normal speed.

Fortunately I still had the Karmic kernel (2.6.31-20) and booting using this kernel, everything run normally.

I just wonder what cause the latest kernel make compiz become slow. Is there any leftover application that I had to uninstall (maybe it's like pulseaudio's problem above), or any missing library/application that I need to install?

If this is a bug, is there any ticket for this and a fix?

TIA

ptn107
July 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Are you using Ubuntu's supplied open-source video drivers or ones you downloaded from the web?

donnykurnia
July 31st, 2010, 02:16 AM
Hi ptn107,

I'm using intel driver from main repository:

$ dpkg -l|grep xserver|grep intel
ii xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.9.1-3ubuntu5 X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver

Is there any other information that I need to supply to help finding the solution?

donnykurnia
July 31st, 2010, 02:16 AM
Hi ptn107,

I'm using intel driver from main repository:

$ dpkg -l|grep xserver|grep intel
ii xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.9.1-3ubuntu5 X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver

Is there any other information that I need to supply to help finding the solution?

ptn107
July 31st, 2010, 05:18 AM

lspci -nn
lspci -v

donnykurnia
August 1st, 2010, 12:29 AM
lspci -nn
lspci -v

Here it is in the attachment. I'm also include
dpkg -l result, so maybe there are missing essential Lucid package in my installation, or there are obsolete package that must be removed.

ptn107
August 1st, 2010, 05:43 AM
I too have integrated Intel video on my Dell laptop using the same [i915] driver. I cannot figure out why yours would be slowing down. Try searching launchpad.net/ubuntu for a bug related to your problem. If none exist open one. May I suggest a clean install also? That may be a bit drastic?

davidmohammed
August 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM
I also have an intel graphics (855GM). Compiz also slowed down to make the desktop unusable.

I installed the compiz fusion icon

right clicking the icon displays a menu - make sure BOTH

loose binding and indirect rendering are both ticked

for some reason, indirect rendering was not ticked on my install and compiz made the desktop unusable.

donnykurnia
August 2nd, 2010, 04:13 AM
Yeah, clean install is an ultimate way. Unfortunately I still have projects near deadline. After that, I might have time to do clean install.

I just want to know if anyone had similar problems, or know something that might be the cause of this problems. Doing clean install every 6 month is quite wasting time. I prefer to do dist-upgrade to kept all my current application settings.

donnykurnia
August 2nd, 2010, 04:21 AM
@davidmohammed,

I had Compiz Fusion icon installed, and in my setting, only indirect rendering ticked, loose binding is not. Using old Karmic kernel, this setting is working well. I will try the Lucid kernel now, see if this is the main cause of the slowness in Lucid. Thank you for sharing the info.

donnykurnia
August 2nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
@davidmohammed,

I try to activate Loose Binding while using old kernel. It doesn't show any effect, since the compiz run normally here. I reboot my laptop and using latest kernel. Even with Loose Binding and Indirect Rendering ticked, it still slow.

However, when I un-tick both checkbox, then only activate Indirect Rendering option, the compiz now running normally, just like when I'm using old kernel.

I don't know if this related, but it seema that deactivate Indirect Rendering then reactivate it make the compiz now working well. I need to reconfirm this by rebooting. If it still working well, then it is the reason and solution for those who had similar problems with mine.

donnykurnia
August 2nd, 2010, 05:26 AM
I have reboot my laptop. Compiz slow again. Looks like I had to spend a few minute to disable then re-enable Indirect Rendering to make the desktop usable.

Is there any way to automate this process, instead of doing it manually? Via command line maybe, I can do a command to disable indirect rendering, pause, then re-enable it?

davidmohammed
August 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
compiz settings (I think) are stored in ~/.gconf/apps/compiz

suggest rename and folder to something else - it should get recreated when you switch from "no effects" to "normal effects" in the visual effects tab.

donnykurnia
August 3rd, 2010, 01:19 AM
~/.gconf/apps/compiz folder mostly have empty %gconf.xml file. I cannot found Indirect Rendering and Loose Binding settings in there. It only store the effect that I have set.

The problems is not with the effects. When I deactivate then reactivate Indirect Rendering, compiz with my settings run normally. I just need to know a way to do deactivate-reactivate automatically when I start the laptop. I haven't try it after waking up from hibernate yet. I'll post my findings later.