PDA

View Full Version : GNOME 3 Delayed Until 2011

WarrenSH
July 30th, 2010, 08:57 AM
If you're looking forward to the next desktop environment, you'll have to wait until March.

Members of the GNOME project gathered at the GUADEC conference in the Netherlands this week where they announced that GNOME 3, the next iteration of the popular open source desktop environment would be delayed until March 2011.

This delays the project by a year, as it's original release was schedule for March 2010. That launch was then pushed back to September 2010, but now, the GNOME project will now issue another incremental update in September.

"GNOME is driven by its goals to provide a quality free software desktop, and we feel that our users and downstream community are better served by holding the GNOME 3.0 release until March 2011," the GNOME project said via an official statement.

Still much progress has been made in the desktop environment, which will introduce a new user interface built on JavaScript and the Clutter framework. Users can download early versions of the Shell package from Launchpad (https://edge.launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/testing).

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/GNOME-3-Delayed-Until-2011

NMFTM
July 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Good, more time before the dreaded Gnome Shell is upon us.

Old Marcus
July 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Fingers crossed this will produce a better release than KDE 4.0 was.

Dragonbite
July 30th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Darn. I've been enjoying Gnome-shell, though I think there are still some issues that have to be ironed out and improved first.

forrestcupp
July 30th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Duke Nukem Forever.

RiceMonster
July 30th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Duke Nukem Forever.

Myabe GNOME 3 is going to be available on the HURD?

WarrenSH
July 30th, 2010, 06:12 PM
KDE vs Gnome, What is the better desktop environment?

KDE and Gnome are complete desktop environments that consist of a large number of tightly integrated yet still separate pieces of software. Gnome uses a window manager called metacity, KDE uses kwin. Both these desktops can be used with any other window manager if you do not like the default choice.

Linux is like Lego. You can build your own desktop environment. Both KDE and Gnome are just big packages with software aimed to look and feel the same way, work well together and generally give you a nice experience. If you dislike a component, then replace it with something else. It's that simple.

Application that are "made for gnome" or "made for kde" can be used with any desktop. This only means that that the program use a set of library functions found in their underlying gnome-libs or kdelibs. You do not need to use the actual desktops to use the applications, software made for KDE and Gnome can be used with any window manager / desktop as long as you got the proper libraries installed. There is no reason to use only applications made for the desktop you prefer, the "best software" for one task is made for KDE, the best for another task is made for Gnome. Use the best from both worlds.

Both KDE and Gnome can be customized to behave exactly the way you want. What desktop you prefer is your own choice and preference. When in doubt, try to learn both. Or experiment with other desktops. Remember, *nix applications are not locked to the desktop they are made for, Gnome applications can be used in KDE and vice versa.

There is no "best desktop", but there is a desktop that's best for you. It's a matter of preference, and hardware.

http://linuxreviews.org/software/desktops/

forrestcupp
July 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM
KDE vs Gnome, What is the better desktop environment?

KDE and Gnome are complete desktop environments that consist of a large number of tightly integrated yet still separate pieces of software. Gnome uses a window manager called metacity, KDE uses kwin. Both these desktops can be used with any other window manager if you do not like the default choice.

Linux is like Lego. You can build your own desktop environment. Both KDE and Gnome are just big packages with software aimed to look and feel the same way, work well together and generally give you a nice experience. If you dislike a component, then replace it with something else. It's that simple.

Application that are "made for gnome" or "made for kde" can be used with any desktop. This only means that that the program use a set of library functions found in their underlying gnome-libs or kdelibs. You do not need to use the actual desktops to use the applications, software made for KDE and Gnome can be used with any window manager / desktop as long as you got the proper libraries installed. There is no reason to use only applications made for the desktop you prefer, the "best software" for one task is made for KDE, the best for another task is made for Gnome. Use the best from both worlds.

Both KDE and Gnome can be customized to behave exactly the way you want. What desktop you prefer is your own choice and preference. When in doubt, try to learn both. Or experiment with other desktops. Remember, *nix applications are not locked to the desktop they are made for, Gnome applications can be used in KDE and vice versa.

There is no "best desktop", but there is a desktop that's best for you. It's a matter of preference, and hardware.

http://linuxreviews.org/software/desktops/

Are you sure you posted in the right thread?

Dragonbite
July 30th, 2010, 07:26 PM
The good thing about the delay is it gives me more time to try out the KDE Plasma Netbook Workspaces too, and see which one I like more.

khelben1979
July 30th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Sounds good. Better to release it when it's ready. A buggy desktop enviroment will make some Linux users start dreaming about going back to Windows, I think.

murderslastcrow
July 30th, 2010, 08:11 PM
It'll be nice to have all that little functionality people usually get (like Gnomenu, GnomeDO, widgets, etc.) built into the DE just in case you want to use them, like what KDE 4 does. Even though third-party docks and stuff are fairly light on Linux, this will still likely reduce system load and probably bring about some more interesting renovations as time goes on.

But seriously, they should integrate with Gnome-look.org like KDE integrates with Kde-look.org. That's a HUGE usability improvement that I just adore in KDE. Also, it seems that they're using more interesting theme engines from these mockups. I assume we'll have radial gradients available as in KDE 4. I really do hope so.

Merk42
July 30th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Sounds good. Better to release it when it's ready. A buggy desktop enviroment will make some Linux users start dreaming about going back to Windows, I think.
There will always be bugs in software.

If one waits for every bug to be squashed, then they are waiting for something that will never come.

WarrenSH
July 31st, 2010, 06:50 AM
I am looking forward to seeing Gnome 3 in 2011 I wonder if it will roll out around the first quarter or maybe second quarter.

I am looking forward to seeing what has been added & improved with GNOME3. I enjoy using KDE but I find my self always turning back to using GNOME as my desktop environment.

To bad no one has found any leaked images or details on GNOME3

Zlatan
July 31st, 2010, 08:12 AM
I am looking forward to seeing Gnome 3 in 2011 I wonder if it will roll out around the first quarter or maybe second quarter.

I am looking forward to seeing what has been added & improved with GNOME3. I enjoy using KDE but I find my self always turning back to using GNOME as my desktop environment.

To bad no one has found any leaked images or details on GNOME3

have you seen gnome shell?

chessnerd
July 31st, 2010, 08:16 AM
Myabe GNOME 3 is going to be available on the HURD?

Hurd has been under development from the GNU Project since 1990 and Richard Stallman said that it would be out by the end of 2002. Sure, in 2010 he said that he wasn't really sure if it would ever get done, but I'm sure it will eventually. Maybe it really will be done in time for Gnome 3. 2011 might just be the Year of Hurd on the Desktop!

Besides, that's an unfair comparison. Gnome's development team is completely different from Hurd's. It isn't like Gnome is developed by the exact same free software project that Hurd is from.

Wait...

Macskeeball
July 31st, 2010, 08:25 AM
Too bad no one has found any leaked images or details on GNOME3

Leaked? Why do you think they would they have to be leaked? GNOME is an open source project. It's transparently collaborated on out in the open. It's not some company trying to keep future products under wraps.