PDA

View Full Version : kubuntuforums ask GK questions when registering

neoargon
July 30th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Really strange . the kubuntuforums.net asks GK questions when a user registers . How do they expect the user to know the answers . More over the questions are centered to Europe and America
It wasted some of my time because when I answered "pacific ocean" to a question , it showed the answer was wrong . "pacific" was correct .

cascade9
July 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM
If you dont know the answer already, questions like that are very easy to answer if you use a search engine. Or a set of encylopedias.

neoargon
July 30th, 2010, 07:53 AM
If you dont know the answer already, questions like that are very easy to answer if you use a search engine. Or a set of encylopedias.
I searched and found the answers . This was a new experience though, the forum I mean.

TheWeakSleep
July 30th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I like the last one. "The answer to this question is the word 'yes'"

lisati
July 30th, 2010, 08:06 AM
:lolflag: Is this thread serious? (I've been to the Eiffel Tower and across the mentioned ocean)

(Edit: The nearest I've been to "/earth" is Colombo airport in Ceylon)

julio_cortez
July 30th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I like the last one. "The answer to this question is the word 'yes'"
I tried to answer "maybe" to that one, but I've been bounced :(

neoargon
July 30th, 2010, 08:12 AM
:lolflag: Is this thread serious? (I've been to the Eiffel Tower and across the mentioned ocean)

(Edit: The nearest I've been to "/earth" is Colombo airport in Ceylon)

What do you meant by being serious ?. I didn't know the nation at the south of USA .

cariboo
July 30th, 2010, 08:19 AM
It looks like you need to hone your google-fu. :)

lisati
July 30th, 2010, 08:25 AM
What do you meant by being serious ?. I didn't know the nation at the south of USA .

Nowhere near the US here and a lot nearer where you live than you might think. More like Australia is a western suburb of my current home city. :D

Maybe I was fortunate at age 10 to go on a world trip with my family and visit a number of places that other people can only dream about. And yes, I have been to Colombo in Ceylon Sri Lanka and Teheran in Iran, if only in transit.

neoargon
July 30th, 2010, 08:31 AM
anyway , that improved my G.K a bit

McRat
July 30th, 2010, 08:40 AM
If they already have a WEIRD TEXT box, questions like that aren't going to stop spammers.

There are 2 kinds of spammers today:

Computer programs - These are stopped 99.9999% of the time by the WEIRD TEXT question.

Humans paid to be computer programs - These are Work at Home Spamming The Internet people who are paid by how many hits their goofy links get. The best paying ones are malware sites, so don't click the link.

You put questions in the New Member form to stop Humans not computers.

Multiple choice is always best.

Kubuntu is:

A) An Operating System.
B) A Distro of Linux.
C) Based on Ubuntu.
D) All of these.
E) None of these.

Or similiar. The Human Spammer doesn't know what a board is about, nor do they care, they will only be there a few minutes. It could be Candle Making for all they know. If they can't log in easy, they just go to the next on the list of 50,000 boards.

murderslastcrow
July 30th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Ah, interesting observation, Holmes. *makes note*

I personally think they should ask even more demanding questions, and time them, and give you only a certain amount of chances to get in. That way everyone there would 1. Be a bit more mentally quick, as well as 2. Think they're a genius and treat everyone like a prick.

Okay, maybe we shouldn't become social inbreds. But still, you see some people who tried Ubuntu for 20 seconds and join this forum to complain. It'd be nice if there were some way to get people oriented a bit better or help them find information before ranting about it.