PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu lucid x64 not ready for everyday use?

PatrickMoore
July 30th, 2010, 05:31 AM
i have religiously used 64 bit oses since i got my laptop and after taking a break from ubuntu (still love it just was on a windows binge for some odd reason) i am downloading lucid and i noticed that the 64 bit version is noted to be unstable on the site. is this the case? or am i just looking too deep into this?

Spr0k3t
July 30th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I use it here without problems. If you never had problems previously, you should be fine.

jerenept
July 30th, 2010, 05:41 AM
in b4 recurring.

This http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1538562

PatrickMoore
July 30th, 2010, 06:02 AM
sorry for restarting a reoccuring discussion, it honestly did not come up in search. with the evidence provided I am going with 64 bit once again thanks guys

grahammechanical
July 30th, 2010, 11:25 AM
What do you mean - "not ready for everyday use?" I use my computer every day. Well, almost. I have used Ubuntu 64 bit for at least a year. Only issue I have found is that you can not get 64 bit Flash at the moment. So, some videos will not run. Some internet radio sites will not run. But I do not use them everyday. Wordprocessor, spreadsheet, database, music player, drawing, photo editing, email, web surfing, games, I do not do these things every day, but I am able to do them. No problem. What do you want to do, that you cannot do with 64 bit Unbuntu?

regards.

Lucradia
July 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM
sorry for restarting a reoccuring discussion, it honestly did not come up in search. with the evidence provided I am going with 64 bit once again thanks guys

vBull doesn't allow searches for less than 4 characters, and a lot of threads use three-character words for their main title.

To get around this, use site:ubuntuforums.org <search terms> in google.com search.

Ender985
July 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I'd say it is rather ready for everyday use, as I use it everyday (and without much hassle). Just give it a try and see.

What do you mean - "not ready for everyday use?" I use my computer every day. Well, almost. I have used Ubuntu 64 bit for at least a year. Only issue I have found is that you can not get 64 bit Flash at the moment. So, some videos will not run. Some internet radio sites will not run. But I do not use them everyday. Wordprocessor, spreadsheet, database, music player, drawing, photo editing, email, web surfing, games, I do not do these things every day, but I am able to do them. No problem. What do you want to do, that you cannot do with 64 bit Unbuntu?

regards.

There is a solution for each problem. In firefox, just download and install an add-on named 'flash-aid', that will automatically recognize your Ubuntu/Firefox version, and fetch and install for you the correct flash plugin you need. In my everyday use of Lucid 64bit, my flash works perfectly.

whiskeylover
July 30th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I use x64 on a daily basis. And I have Flash working.

LowSky
July 30th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I use x64 on a daily basis. And I have Flash working.

Show off, lol