PDA

View Full Version : Does "trolling" make you mad?

razorboy5
July 30th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Hey I've been playing a game called HoN (pretty popular in the Linux community since it's from S2) and just recently moved on the SC2 yesterday. However in the gaming community there are many trollers and when they're winning "u mad brah?" or "stop QQ" REALLY makes me angry.

I do realize it's just a game and I'd love to play with each side giving tips on how to get better or even a friendly conversation. But when these kids know they can hide behind a monitor and think they're cool I just lose it and want to literally find them, take a plane and beat the :KS:KS:KS:KS out of em.

Was wondering does trolling have the same effect on u or should I take some anger management classes? (I dont mean just game trolling but trolling in general)

RiceMonster
July 30th, 2010, 03:33 AM
No. It's just the internet, and if you get mad you're just doing what they want.

tbh, I find it funny that people can get angry because someone said "u mad brah?"

razorboy5
July 30th, 2010, 03:36 AM
but why do u have to say "u mad brah?" cuz i will find u (u live in Canada... RiceMonsterland according to ur info)

and I dont get mad directly to em online, I refuse to talk to them. However I am so pissed off irl

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 03:39 AM
but why do u have to say "u mad brah?" cuz i will find u (u live in Canada... RiceMonsterland according to ur info)

and I dont get mad directly to em online, I refuse to talk to them. However I am so pissed off irl

Woah, that sounded a bit Psychotic.

I don't get mad at trolls, I troll yahoo answers when I'm bored sometimes.

Dustin2128
July 30th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I do get kind of annoyed when people insult you for beating them with a superior weapon. "only noobs use rocket launchers/rail guns/plasma guns/shotguns/anything other than brass knuckles"

McRat
July 30th, 2010, 03:42 AM
That's where AI on modern games really bites.

The Computer Player needs to throw misspelled grammar school insults at you during combat if they want to mimic human players...

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 03:45 AM

The Computer Player needs to throw misspelled grammar school insults at you during combat if they want to mimic human players...

Unreal Tournament 3 does that, but it's voice.

DeadSuperHero
July 30th, 2010, 03:49 AM
As someone who's dived through the dark, dank underbelly of the YouTube troll community, I will say this: It's a lot of fun, and I love doing it. It's a form of mutual hatred and debate with ad-hominem and ad-nasuem attacks. Articulation is the ultimate goal.

It's a weird, weird sort of subculture where someone is essentially worshipped for being foul and offensive, but hey, it's a living.

JDShu
July 30th, 2010, 03:52 AM
It's a weird, weird sort of subculture where someone is essentially worshipped for being foul and offensive, but hey, it's a living.

haha really?

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 03:52 AM
As someone who's dived through the dark, dank underbelly of the YouTube troll community, I will say this: It's a lot of fun, and I love doing it. It's a form of mutual hatred and debate with ad-hominem and ad-nasuem attacks. Articulation is the ultimate goal.

I agree, it's fun if you're stuck on the computer and bored.

RiceMonster
July 30th, 2010, 04:01 AM

Stop QQ. u mad brah?

kevin11951
July 30th, 2010, 04:07 AM

The Linux game OpenArena does this, I don't remember if they are poor grammar, but they throw insults like theres no tomorrow.

Dustin2128
July 30th, 2010, 04:12 AM
The Linux game OpenArena does this, I don't remember if they are poor grammar, but they throw insults like theres no tomorrow.

grammar's usually correct.

Simian Man
July 30th, 2010, 04:13 AM
If you find yourself mad at something so petty, it's seriously time for a nice dose of perspective.

murderslastcrow
July 30th, 2010, 06:11 AM
If you can kindly correct someone when they've made a grave error in their speech, as to keep the spread of disinformation to a minimum, I find that acceptable if it's done with tact.

Otherwise, it's just their opinion- you're aware of what you like to use, in this case. Many people are traditional in their gaming habits, such as the people who have been playing Starcraft since it was released and never moved onto other things.

Some people just love the classics, to the point that they deny something new can be any better, or for that matter even comparable.

These people are best ignored while the rest of us continue to enjoy abundance.

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 06:38 AM
If you can kindly correct someone when they've made a grave error in their speech, as to keep the spread of disinformation to a minimum, I find that acceptable if it's done with tact.

Otherwise, it's just their opinion- you're aware of what you like to use, in this case. Many people are traditional in their gaming habits, such as the people who have been playing Starcraft since it was released and never moved onto other things.

Some people just love the classics, to the point that they deny something new can be any better, or for that matter even comparable.

These people are best ignored while the rest of us continue to enjoy abundance.

I can think of this with movies. For some reason I know people who adore 2001: A Space Odyssey but have a bitter distaste for something like Avatar. I consider these people mentally unstable.

razorboy5
July 30th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Stop QQ. u mad brah?

only time i'll laugh at a Troll... no exceptions

also I realize it's stupid to get mad about it since I can't do anything about it, but the fact that I can do anything about it is making me really mad... lol

McFinnigan
July 30th, 2010, 07:58 AM
It doesn't bother me, if you're on the internet or gaming online, it just comes with the territory. Campers bother me more than trolling.

pastalavista
July 30th, 2010, 08:15 AM
A key element of any competition is "psyching out" your opponent. If you can't take a little taunting, you shouldn't play competitive games. Stick with Farmville.

kelvin spratt
July 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
if you find yourself mad at something so petty, it's seriously time for a nice dose of perspective.
+1

Lucradia
July 30th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I love how trolls call the trollin' face... "cool face."

No, not really actually.

BenAshton24
July 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Campers bother me more than trolling.

People whining about campers bother me more than the campers.

Lucradia
July 30th, 2010, 09:24 AM
People whining about campers bother me more than the campers.

People whining about people who whine about campers bother me more than the campers, more than the trolls.

Recursion time!

cespinal
July 30th, 2010, 09:51 AM
He mad XD

Tristam Green
July 30th, 2010, 12:42 PM

u mad brah^H^H^H^H^H

Stop QQ. u mad brah?

*shake fist* darn youuuuu ricemonster!

I do get kind of annoyed when people insult you for beating them with a superior weapon. "only noobs use rocket launchers/rail guns/plasma guns/shotguns/anything other than brass knuckles"

But it's true - only noobs use anything other than a knife.

Trolling is a wonderful exercise in letting out anger without becoming murderous, and counteracting trolls is a great exercise in self-restraint.

_h_
July 30th, 2010, 12:44 PM
It's just pixels.

whiskeylover
July 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I'm a noob when it comes to internet memes. Whats "stop qq"?

DrMelon
July 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
The key to dealing with trolls is to ignore it - or become a troll.
And yeah, if you get pissed at that, it just shows you have kind of a skewed perspective.

EDIT:
"Stop QQ" means "stop crying" The Q's look like eyeballs with tears.

endotherm
July 30th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I don't generally have a big problem with trolling, but I don't like it around here. There are some posters here that want to disrupt the community, just to make it look bad to the uninitiated. there are plenty of places on the Internet to troll your friends and enemies, but this ain't one of 'em.

whiskeylover
July 30th, 2010, 02:25 PM

Thank you Dr Melon.

eriktheblu
July 30th, 2010, 02:30 PM
My very favorite is when I get threats of physical violence from game participants. I have martial arts training, I'm in the Army, and I normally have my sidearm with me; it's hard to keep from laughing.

When you actually have the skills and equipment to destroy something, it typically becomes a lot less appealing.

Lucradia
July 30th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Even though the QQ IM Service came before the term QQ was actually coined by MMORPG players.

There's a more recent phrase that was "coined" saying "Less Q Q, more Pew pew."

Tristam Green
July 30th, 2010, 02:35 PM
My very favorite is when I get threats of physical violence from game participants. I have martial arts training, I'm in the Army, and I normally have my sidearm with me; it's hard to keep from laughing.

When you actually have the skills and equipment to destroy something, it typically becomes a lot less appealing.

Considering you saw fit to let us know those interesting tidbits of information about you, I'm led to believe you use those very words as counteraction against those "threats of physical violence". What's that say about you? :O

Frogs Hair
July 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM
As mentioned early taunting is part of competition , so I guess you just have Geek Up and .........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGcn15ODltA

endotherm
July 30th, 2010, 04:02 PM
As mentioned early taunting is part of competition , so I guess you just have Geek Up and .........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGcn15ODltA

what competition is that? this is a support forum, so are we fighting to help the op fastest?

ticopelp
July 30th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Not really. Learn not to care -- it's easy with a little practice.

In the past, whenever I've had to belittle other people or act out to get attention at any cost, it's usually because I was miserable in my own life. I imagine that's probably true for a lot of devoted trolls. I'm sure some just genuinely get their rocks off taunting others, but they're not worth spending emotional energy on.

But then, I don't play competitive games online with strangers, in part because of the "racist twelve year old" factor. It's not maddening, just boring and annoying, like being at the dentist.

sataris
July 30th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hey I've been playing a game called HoN (pretty popular in the Linux community since it's from S2) and just recently moved on the SC2 yesterday. However in the gaming community there are many trollers and when they're winning "u mad brah?" or "stop QQ" REALLY makes me angry.

I do realize it's just a game and I'd love to play with each side giving tips on how to get better or even a friendly conversation. But when these kids know they can hide behind a monitor and think they're cool I just lose it and want to literally find them, take a plane and beat the :KS:KS:KS:KS out of em.

Was wondering does trolling have the same effect on u or should I take some anger management classes? (I dont mean just game trolling but trolling in general)

lolumadbro?

j/k, j/k.

I never pay attn to the other players in any game I'm in. I try to stay with ppl I know when I play games.

Trolling forums OToH.....

Goolie
July 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM

lololollol lolumad? u mad brah? lol! QQ'r brought it to the forums! lololol. QQ MOAR

i kid, i kid. . . I play HoN. and HoN just like DoTA will never have that community. These games are HEAVILY dominant on teamwork. 5 players, and one who's very bad can alter the game. Drastically. It's got that hype that you have to be the best. I mean, just ignore them, what can you do?

P.S. Stop QQ'ing. :p

Frogs Hair
July 30th, 2010, 05:20 PM
what competition is that? this is a support forum, so are we fighting to help the op fastest?

The op was talking about trolling as it relates to gaming forums.

ElSlunko
July 30th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Maybe a while ago. But then I grew up. Can't say that for the trolls.

afroman10496
July 30th, 2010, 06:15 PM
No, i just ask, "are you using Red Hat fine sir?"

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/gnome-census-is-out-reveals-canonical.html

MaxIBoy
July 30th, 2010, 06:23 PM
It only makes me mad if it really is very well done, otherwise I can usually spot it right away.

By the way, there is a textbook example of a "classic" troll on this page:
http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments=1&v=pkcJEvMcnEg
Look for comments by "lilmonstar98." This is how it's done, people.

era86
July 30th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Easy answer... grow up. Then you won't be so mad about it.

JDShu
July 30th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Easy answer... grow up. Then you won't be so mad about it.

Some of us refuse to grow up :D

murderslastcrow
July 30th, 2010, 07:55 PM
The baffoons are loud and roudy, while the calm, thoughtful people who consider multiple perspectives openly are usually quiet and wait for a chance to give meaningful input.

So there are probably quite a lot more silent geniuses in our society than loud-mouthed trolls. Perhaps you can take comfort in that.

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 07:57 PM
The baffoons are loud and roudy, while the calm, thoughtful people who consider multiple perspectives openly are usually quiet and wait for a chance to give meaningful input.

So there are probably quite a lot more silent geniuses in our society than loud-mouthed trolls. Perhaps you can take comfort in that.

I'm a loud mouth genius though. I wonder what a silent troll would be. :-k

JDShu
July 30th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I'm a loud mouth genius though. I wonder what a silent troll would be. :-k

eriktheblu
July 30th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Considering you saw fit to let us know those interesting tidbits of information about you, I'm led to believe you use those very words as counteraction against those "threats of physical violence". What's that say about you? :O

Your conclusion is incorrect (although I understand how you arrived at it). My typical response is to use the built in ignore function, and possibly report TOS violations to the administration/moderation teams (dependent on the severity of the violation).

I have much better things to do with my life than to try and prove myself to some child who disagrees with my gaming style.

The purpose in disclosing my background was to give context to my amusement. Liken this instead to how a lawyer might react to lawsuit threats from an random internet denizen.

afroman10496
July 30th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Ok... this thread might not be a good idea -_-

go play nexuiz or something instead of fighting. no trolls over there are there?

Tristam Green
July 30th, 2010, 09:08 PM
The purpose in disclosing my background was to give context to my amusement. Liken this instead to how a lawyer might react to lawsuit threats from an random internet denizen.

Given the lawyers that I know? Most of them barely know how to use the Internet, much less recognize that they're being trolled.

endotherm
July 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Your conclusion is incorrect (although I understand how you arrived at it). My typical response is to use the built in ignore function, and possibly report TOS violations to the administration/moderation teams (dependent on the severity of the violation).

I have much better things to do with my life than to try and prove myself to some child who disagrees with my gaming style.

it's quite possible that being in the military, that you have forgotten that when some pimply pale suburban 13 year old says in an MMO that "I will kill you", he doesn't really mean it as a death threat.

t0p
July 30th, 2010, 10:00 PM
it's quite possible that being in the military, that you have forgotten that when some pimply pale suburban 13 year old says in an MMO that "I will kill you", he doesn't really mean it as a death threat.

KA-POW!! Heehee, that was a nice one.

Trolling is one of the oldest internet phenomena, and one of the most popular. Its origins date back probably to the invention of the mailing list. IRC was probably invented for trolls - all that flaming, and kicking users offline. And of course there's Usenet. Online gaming is a relatively new territory for the troll.

I may have made incorrect statements in the above paragraph. If anyone dares correct me, I shall borrow a big gun from eriktheblu and give you all a right good sorting out!! ;)