PDA

View Full Version : GhostBSD

HappinessNow
July 30th, 2010, 02:47 AM
What is GhostBSD.

GhostBSD it is a Gnome based FreeBSD distribution in a form of a live CD. In future GhostBSD is being worked on to be installable on a disk.

Why GhostBSD.

There are no new user friendly distributions of FreeBSD based on gnome.The GhostBSD project’s goal is to improve Gnome desktop environment on a FreeBSD system.http://goo.gl/aWbw

I'm downloading GhostBSD now to give it a try live, and possibly install it.

Anybody try GhostBSD yet?

Sporkman
July 30th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I've tried the live CD - seemed ok, except I couldn't figure out how to turn wireless on...

Dustin2128
July 30th, 2010, 03:00 AM
definitely looks interesting, might give it a shot sometimes. The need for a user friendly BSD is dire, PC-BSD gets a 10/10 for effort but a 4/10 for usability. <off topic>If I recall correctly, the default look was one of the top contenders in the 'worst default theme ever' contest.

Thanks for fixing that cariboo

HappinessNow
July 30th, 2010, 03:04 AM
I've tried the live CD - seemed ok, except I couldn't figure out how to turn wireless on...
maybe with the update this has been fixed?

We have update to Gnome 2.30.
Now You can install GhostBSD by terminal commands and a list with pc-sysinstall. The partition Supported to install GhostBSD are UFS, UFS+S (plus soft updates7), UFS+J (plus journaling8), ZFS, and SWAP.
A how to install is in the desktop.

With GhostBSD in your hard drive you have Linux-f10 compatibility that mean you can install Linux apps and Linux flash. Cups ready to use. Compiz install and ready to be use.

This Is the first installable version. Not so user friendly. But I have promised
something. The last month All was going wrong and I decide to go with pc-sysinstall. Now for the next 6 mount I gonna work on a graphic installer for 2.0.http://goo.gl/f2da

Johninky
March 19th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I would like to say GhostBSD is just amazing easy to install fast and I do mean fast. I had firefox open with about 10 tabs xchat,pidgin,weechat,irssi,opera(5tabs) terminator, thunderbird, and VNC, and was still only using 258mb of ram.

Sporkman
Re: GhostBSD

sorry to tell you wireless is not supported out of the box but if you come by the IRC channel I will do my best to help you get it going.

Dustin2128
Thanks for the nice words.

I would like to announce that we have released GhostBSD 2.0. You can install it. It is Free, and it is based off of Freebsd 8.2. Please drop by distrowatch and download it, try it out and stop by the irc channel on freenode network at #GhostBSD.

Thanks
Johninlex
P.S. Over look the name change it happens

Quadunit404
March 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss76/Quadunit404/threadnecromancer.jpg

Johnsie
March 19th, 2011, 05:00 PM
So history isn't relevant?

NightwishFan
March 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Funny. :)

RiceMonster
March 19th, 2011, 05:58 PM
So history isn't relevant?

Correct. Good interpretation.

handy
March 19th, 2011, 09:31 PM
definitely looks interesting, might give it a shot sometimes. The need for a user friendly BSD is dire, PC-BSD gets a 10/10 for effort but a 4/10 for usability. ...

I used PC-BSD for some months about 3 or 4 years ago. I didn't think it was hard to use?

I've never liked KDE much, but I must say that the PC-BSD implementation of KDE back when I was using it was the best I had ever seen.

dh04000
March 20th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I used PC-BSD for some months about 3 or 4 years ago. I didn't think it was hard to use?

I've never liked KDE much, but I must say that the PC-BSD implementation of KDE back when I was using it was the best I had ever seen.

I agree with you. PC-BSD's KDE implementation is very rock solid. I can't even get a KDE linux OS to work on my MSI Wind u100 due to the acceleration crashing the desktop and KDE being painfully slow as a whole. On PC-BSD, KDE is quick and it acceleration works beautifully.

CharlesA
March 20th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Closed per OP's request.