PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Mac OS Dashboard clone for Linux?

thejakeman
July 30th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Just wondering if there's such thing where when you press a function key it dims and widgets slide in from the edges, like in Mac OS. If there is such thing what's it called and where can I find it?

Thanks!

thejakeman
July 30th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Bump?

mcduck
July 31st, 2010, 09:10 AM
There's no single program that would behave like Dashboard, but you can easily get the same functionality.

Compiz has the Widget Layer-plugin which allows you to set any applications to be hidden by default and only show when you press a certain key, just like the Dashboard. Use that with some Screenlets and you'll have your dashboard (but keep in mind that you aren't limited to the Screenlets, you can add any programs you want to the "dashboard"). :)

KdotJ
July 31st, 2010, 11:46 AM
Interesting... Thanks for the info I'm gonna check that out

infamous-online
July 31st, 2010, 03:17 PM
Cairo dock I believe is what you're looking for. :guitar:

thejakeman
July 31st, 2010, 09:06 PM
Cairo dock I believe is what you're looking for. :guitar:

Cairo Dock is just the bottom, this is what I'm talking about (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKX96BdjPuE)

And mcduck, my only problem with the compiz one is it doesn't have the zoom animation when you activate and deactivate it, and when you do turn it on it takes a few "screenlets" a while to show up and when they do show up it's a very unattractive appearance. I was just hoping there was something else out there to activate it, but perhaps I'm being too picky. Thanks anyways though!