PDA

View Full Version : What's a good blog hosting service?

Dustin2128
July 30th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Since I'm cutting back/quitting facebook due to huge privacy concerns, I'm starting a blog to blurt out whatever comes to mind on the internet. Planning on building it with wordpress (the GPL ultimatum really won me over) and spending exactly 0$. No ads would be a plus.

jerenept
July 30th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Usually when you do not pay, ads pay for you.

Maybe twitter?

While DynDNS is not a hosting service, they will give you a Domain for free, so long as you log in to your account every 30 days.

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 02:41 AM
blogger! And google will pay you for putting ads, and they're good at it, they set up the layout so that ads don't really interfere with your content.

Dustin2128
July 30th, 2010, 02:48 AM
blogger! And google will pay you for putting ads, and they're good at it, they set up the layout so that ads don't really interfere with your content.
I've used blogger before, I don't really like it that much. I'll use it as a fall-back of course if I can't find another appropriate service. Also google is close to the equal of facebook as far as privacy concerns go. I suppose I would be fine with a few small ads, just a text-only adbar or two, nothing flash or animated or otherwise.

Also DYNdns sounded interesting. Basically, you setup the server, they give you the domain? Wouldn't be right for me at the moment because I don't have the appropriate hardware, but still an excellent possibility for when I finish my replacement desktop.

HappinessNow
July 30th, 2010, 02:49 AM
if you have privacy concerns, then don't use the internet, don't blog. Simple solution. ;)

tmette
July 30th, 2010, 02:58 AM
If you want it to be a free blog, then I definitely think WordPress (http://wordpress.com/) is the best and you can get a free one. The only drawback about this is your domain would be something like:

http://myblog.wordpress.com/

Dustin2128
July 30th, 2010, 03:08 AM
if you have privacy concerns, then don't use the internet, don't blog. Simple solution. ;)

They're not that big ;) I just don't like going with big companies for service.

HappinessNow
July 30th, 2010, 03:11 AM
They're not that big ;) I just don't like going with big companies for service.ahh I understand...blogger is by far the quickest and easiest to set up; free, and as customizable as wordpress if not more so, and for $10 a year you can purchase a domain name from Google via their partner enom (don't use godaddy)...that is of course you can overcome that Google is a large company. ;-)

Dustin2128
July 30th, 2010, 03:15 AM
alright, I've decided to use wordpress until I can get my server up, after which I'll swap to my own hosting.

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 03:17 AM
ahh I understand...blogger is by far the quickest and easiest to set up; free, and as customizable as wordpress if not more so, and for $10 a year you can purchase a domain name from Google via their partner enom (don't use godaddy)...that is of course you can overcome that Google is a large company. ;-)

Wait really? I've been trying to build a website that looks like blogger (I used Kompozer as I do not know HTML) well sort of. I didn't know I could just buy the domain and change it. That simplifies things.

Dustin2128
July 30th, 2010, 03:31 AM
hm, can you edit the html behind wordpress? I'd like to put an if IE redirect to a picture of gandalf vs the balrog captioned "YOU SHALL NOT PASSSSS! while using internet explorer" Most of my friends use ffox anyway so it's not a big deal.

nilarimogard
July 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Wordpress.com doesn't allow any kind of customization to the template. You can only add stuff by directly posing it or in the sidebar. That's it, no CSS, HTML or whatever other customizations. That also includes plugins (so no extra plugins if you use wordpress.com). Also, you won't be able to insert any javascript into posts. That includes code from video sharing websites (for youtube you'll have to use their shortcode: [youtube=url], not the original embedding code - that won't work).

Either get some hosting and install wordpress or use blogger. All the other options suck

_h_
July 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM
And Wordpress doesn't allow you to put ads on their blogs like Blogger does.

Best bet would be to download WordPress and get self hosted, either free or paid.

000webhost is an ok free host, I never had any problems with them except a few DDOS attacks on their servers. Like what host doesn't deal with that?

For paid hosting, I would definitely recommend T35 paid hosting.

Lucradia
July 30th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Real internet people use tumblr.

whiskeylover
July 30th, 2010, 01:51 PM
If you want it to be a free blog, then I definitely think WordPress (http://wordpress.com/) is the best and you can get a free one. The only drawback about this is your domain would be something like:

http://myblog.wordpress.com/

I thought free Wordpress allowed you to have your own domain.

eriktheblu
July 30th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Privacy aside, I use blogger personally, and wordpress professionally.

Blogger is a whole lot easier to manage.