PDA

View Full Version : Are there jobs to be had with linux?

jon.reeve
July 29th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Hi, I'm a big Ubuntu enthusiast, and I'm starting to get good with using the command line, as well a couple other technologies like HTML. Are there any jobs out there that I could train myself for? If so, what kind of skills would I need, what certification would I need to get, and where would I go to look for the jobs? Thanks for the advice!

pricetech
July 30th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I'm not going to suggest that there aren't jobs for "Linux geeks" but my experience has been that knowing how to work in Linux is more a "feather in the cap" kind of thing than it is the reason your resume leads to an interview.

Stick with generic, industry standard certifications like A+, Network+, Server+, Security+ and be prepared to have to demonstrate some windows knowledge as well.

themarker0
July 30th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Get your LPI, CISCO certification, and i know it sounds bad, but microsoft. If you get enough degrees people see you as what they think to be smart, and hire you as a consultant for a short period of time.

cuongjj
July 30th, 2010, 01:17 AM
How did become sufficient using the command line? How did you learn? I find it hard to learn.

cuongjj
July 30th, 2010, 01:18 AM
How about the RHCT or RHCE? Would you recommend that over the LPI?

themarker0
July 30th, 2010, 01:20 AM
How about the RHCT or RHCE? Would you recommend that over the LPI?

I've not taken it, but read hat itself is limited to redhat. Many organizations don't use Redhat. Though in all honesty, start learning, never stop.

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 30th, 2010, 02:28 AM
I would recommend that you ask yourself what you want to do rather than what jobs are possible. For example; do you want to design websites; do you want to administer user accounts, networks, etc.; do you want to install operating systems, DNS servers, LDAP or Active Directory servers, etc.?

There are a lot of job possibilities; however, what do you want to do for the next 5 or 10 years? You could get a job and not be happy if you do not ask yourself what you want to do.

In small companies you can get by with either Linux or Microsoft experience. As soon as you move to larger companies you will find that you will be working in an environment where both are used.

phrostbyte
July 30th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Get a degree in computer science.

murderslastcrow
July 30th, 2010, 06:13 AM
You could get really good at programming and see if you can get into Novell or something. However, they mostly employ seasoned people with various skills outside of programming/Linux knowledge. So unless you're planning on selling Ubuntu to emerging markets in some form or another, I'd say look for another job and help out on the side if it's comfortable and you have the desire to do so.

ateeq15988
July 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM
No there are not. At least i have not seen.

GeneralZod
July 30th, 2010, 08:01 AM
The future looks pretty good, at least here in the UK:

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/linux.do