PDA

View Full Version : Why do people get so emotional about their computers??

murderslastcrow
July 29th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I'm talking about normal people, here. It goes for all OSes, I guess, but these days it seems most Linux users or Mac users I know started on Windows, so they're more open-minded and less tense about this kind of stuff.

Anyway, I was doing a presentation, made it in Openshot, we were gonna' use a Mac but apparently they only use DVI, so I had the privilege of trying to play an MOV on a Windows 7 netbook one of my classmates had.

And that's where things got bad. VLC wouldn't open the MOV fast enough for his tastes, so he went to download and install Quicktime, which froze a few times, and as we connected to the internet, a few pop-ups came up, and things slowed down to a halt on several occasions.

There is hardly a necessary reason to use Windows on a netbook, by the way. Most of the software people keep Windows for does not run comfortably on them anyway. But I guess if you use Illustrator or Premiere on a netbook, it would make sense. This guy just loved Windows.

So basically, I had to try to help him understand that Windows is not perfect, and it does have issues, without upsetting him. Also, he used Ubuntu for a day or two and 'quit', beforehand. A lot of people in my class learned a few good things about Ubuntu, and my presentation was a success, but I still feel bad for people who get tied up in technology that can be harmful to them. Even open source is something we might not want to take TOO seriously, despite the freedoms it gives us. Only enough that we preserve those freedoms, not enough to be jerks.

Dustin2128
July 29th, 2010, 10:34 PM
hmm, again I quote Morpheus.

You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.
Can't put it much better then that.

Also GNU/Linux users usually aren't very open minded until they pass through the fanboy/zealot stage. Some never do *cough*rms*cough*.

RiceMonster
July 29th, 2010, 10:49 PM
but these days it seems most Linux users or Mac users I know started on Windows, so they're more open-minded and less tense about this kind of stuff.

I don't know about that.

Legendary_Bibo
July 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Oh I thought you were talking about people who get pissed off at their computer when their computer decides it doesn't want to work.

juancarlospaco
July 29th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Computer emos? wtf!

Legendary_Bibo
July 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Computer emos? wtf!

Hey emo computer geeks are a growing concern! It is to be taken seriously! :-x

What do you think happens to those trolls who go ignored?! They start cutting their own ethernet cords realizing that they even too socially inept for the internet.

They then move on cutting cords that hurt their computer the most like internal hard drive, usb, and disk drive cables. Then they end it all by cutting the power cable. They are soon forgotten from the internet that they never existed on, thus proving that their hollow existence was pointless from the start.

phrostbyte
July 29th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Because technology is life to a lot of people (including myself).

I don't expect to be able to change the opinion of hardcore Microsoft peoples, it's about as likely as they changing my opinions on Linux and FOSS. :)

Also keep in mind for people who really don't have the same kind of passion about computers and technology, a lot of them "bet" their careers on Microsoft products. That is often what happens if you are a software developer, eventually you get holed into a single technology because of all the experience requirements. So if Microsoft dies so does their career, they might have to start as entry level if they want to get back into the game. That's hard.

Legendary_Bibo
July 29th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Because technology is life to a lot of people (including myself).

I don't expect to be able to change the opinion of hardcore Microsoft peoples, it's about as likely as they changing my opinions on Linux and FOSS. :)

Also keep in mind for people who really don't have the same kind of passion about computers and technology, a lot of them "bet" their careers on Microsoft products. That is often what happens if you are a software developer, eventually you get holed into a single technology because of all the experience requirements. So if Microsoft dies so does their career, they might have to start as entry level if they want to get back into the game. That's hard.

Well I don't think that holds true unless you're strictly a Visual Basic developer. Most software developers learn multiple languages which a lot are cross platform.

phrostbyte
July 29th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Well I don't think that holds true unless you're strictly a Visual Basic developer. Most software developers learn multiple languages which a lot are cross platform.

You wouldn't believe how many strictly Visual Basic developers exist.

Plus look at some job requirements. It's not just MS tech. If you want to be a "Senior Oracle DBA" you'll see something like "Requires 10-15 years experience as a Oracle DBA." What happens is your career get pigeon holed, literally locked in, to a technology. If you want to advance.

jerenept
July 29th, 2010, 11:31 PM
You wouldn't believe how many "strictly Visual Basic" developers exist.

mono?

phrostbyte
July 29th, 2010, 11:35 PM
mono?

I don't know many organizations/people using Mono on a professional/enterprise bases. I'm sure they exist, but they vastly outnumber those who are using MS tech directly. But Mono has potential to break this dependency. That's why I think Mono is a genuinely good thing (despite being a huge huge fan of the FSF's work).

Legendary_Bibo
July 29th, 2010, 11:38 PM
You wouldn't believe how many strictly Visual Basic developers exist.

Plus look at some job requirements. It's not just MS tech. If you want to be a "Senior Oracle DBA" you'll see something like "Requires 10-15 years experience as a Oracle DBA." What happens is your career get pigeon holed, literally locked in, to a technology. If you want to advance.

I don't consider Visual Basic developers real software developers unless they know other languages. Visual Basic is fun to use because it's easy to build a GUI, but I couldn't see it as a serious language.

phrostbyte
July 29th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I don't consider Visual Basic developers real software developers unless they know other languages. Visual Basic is fun to use because it's easy to build a GUI, but I couldn't see it as a serious language.

Unfortunately you can have a long and complete career doing nothing but coding absolute garbage in Visual Basic. Even more depressing, you have an even longer career fixing/refactoring/rewriting said absolute garbage. :p Those people have it worst.

JwB Zoofware
July 30th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Because their choice of operating system, browser, text editor or whatever becomes part of their personality, so telling them that emacs is rubbish is interpreted as a personal attack.

Also GNU/Linux users usually aren't very open minded until they pass through the fanboy/zealot stage. Some never do *cough*rms*cough*.

Definitely. It always struck me as odd how people who supposedly support software "freedom" mock those who use proprietary software rather than open source.

MadCookie
July 30th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I think people get emotional because people use computers every day...as well as some fanboys let them selves get brainwashed. I think we can blame the fanboys for the OS debates.

Every OS is great, it is just that different operating systems suits different people best.

This is also something to think about:
Lets say you run Windows, but you suddenly get a serious problem with it somehow. Then you decide to buy a Mac, and you have some issues with Mac as well, but too those issues (on the Mac) may not be as serious for you, so you keep your Mac. For other people this may be totally different.

The point.....
....is that every OS has it's different set of problems. Then it is up to the user to decide what problems you can "live with the most". Then it you see your best friend use in example Windows, but because you tell him/her that Windows sucks and your friend doesn't apply you get a little angry because "you're kind of not right"....

....It is human nature! If you think something is right, then it is right no matter what (even when you deep inside you know it isn't right). People are stubborn, and that triggers emotions, and debates....

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Definitely. It always struck me as odd how people who supposedly support software "freedom" mock those who use proprietary software rather than open source.

It's actually downright annoying.

Dustin2128
July 30th, 2010, 12:11 AM

Well like I said, for most people the zealot thing is kind of a stage, eventually they usually become more relaxed. The free software movement though is basically 'show us the source code!', not necessarily freedom of choice. Though if the source code is displayed, you generally get plenty of forks and thus freedom of choice.

wewantutopia
July 30th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Oh I thought you were talking about people who get pissed off at their computer when their computer decides it doesn't want to work.

Like this???? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNXzuZqQf_A (http://www.ask.com/bar?q=german+boy+computer&page=1&qsrc=121&dm=all&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLNXzu ZqQf_A&sg=KYJ5h2l1dVjn%2Bm9OZXDFO563q6F3IW4u%2FzeWkIZfGgE %3D%0D%0A&tsp=1280448781034)

RabbitWho
July 30th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Because I love her!
I'm okay when it's just the two of us together but when other people around and she's awkward I get so angry I surprise myself... I guess we're so close I feel like it's a criticism of me? I dunno why I do it, I really gotta stop. I know she's not going to be around forever and I really want our time together to be filled with love.

jerenept
July 30th, 2010, 01:48 AM
??????
:confused:

What?

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 02:15 AM
??????

What?

I thought my computer geek-emo comment was odd, but this one takes the cake.

jerenept
July 30th, 2010, 02:35 AM
i was talking about the post above mine.

XD

Macskeeball
July 30th, 2010, 03:13 AM
i was talking about the post above mine.

XD

I'm pretty sure that was meant as a joke, taking off on the title of the thread.

murderslastcrow
July 30th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Lol. Yeah, I was just surprised by the general delusion exhibited. He blamed the crashes and general slowness on Quicktime and my media format, instead of realizing he was running Windows 7 on a netbook, and trying to play somewhat high quality video (it ran fine on my friend's Ubuntu Netbook, instantly).

I can get people becoming attached to something, but defending it even to the point of fooling themselves and not recognizing where the issues are originating from... I dunno', seems unhealthy to say the least. Windows isn't very flexible, and there are just some problems it's always had that have never gone away.

But yeah, I'd agree with the first reply, from Morpheus. People grow attached, fearful of something new... Windows itself is like an addictive substance. It's bad for you, but it re-enforces itself through the negative effects (fear of the 'crash' you get).

So yeah, so long as people are aware of their options, and that Linux is extremely usable and glamorous even when compared to OS X, I'm fine with their decision to use Windows. Linux is perfectly fine for the rest of us.

That's the real injustice here- there is no ignorance if there is no initial awareness. Or rather, they don't have the chance to actively ignore the solutions Linux provides.

Either way, Windows and OS X won't be around forever, so it's only a matter of time until we're all using something better, whether that's Linux or our magical hypervisor widgets of the future. (Futurama's eyePhone, yuck)

But yeah, I think people should be more open to using multiple operating systems and devices, since it's likely not going to be tied to the desktop in the very near future.

Many smartphone users are realizing what's so great about trying something new. Hopefully this will create a new desire for openness and control as they realize, very clearly, the difference between a more open source oriented OS like Android, and its approach to hardware vendors, and the approach of the iPhone.

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Lol. Yeah, I was just surprised by the general delusion exhibited. He blamed the crashes and general slowness on Quicktime and my media format, instead of realizing he was running Windows 7 on a netbook, and trying to play somewhat high quality video (it ran fine on my friend's Ubuntu Netbook, instantly).

I can get people becoming attached to something, but defending it even to the point of fooling themselves and not recognizing where the issues are originating from... I dunno', seems unhealthy to say the least. Windows isn't very flexible, and there are just some problems it's always had that have never gone away.

But yeah, I'd agree with the first reply, from Morpheus. People grow attached, fearful of something new... Windows itself is like an addictive substance. It's bad for you, but it re-enforces itself through the negative effects (fear of the 'crash' you get).

So yeah, so long as people are aware of their options, and that Linux is extremely usable and glamorous even when compared to OS X, I'm fine with their decision to use Windows. Linux is perfectly fine for the rest of us.

That's the real injustice here- there is no ignorance if there is no initial awareness. Or rather, they don't have the chance to actively ignore the solutions Linux provides.

Either way, Windows and OS X won't be around forever, so it's only a matter of time until we're all using something better, whether that's Linux or our magical hypervisor widgets of the future. (Futurama's eyePhone, yuck)

But yeah, I think people should be more open to using multiple operating systems and devices, since it's likely not going to be tied to the desktop in the very near future.

Many smartphone users are realizing what's so great about trying something new. Hopefully this will create a new desire for openness and control as they realize, very clearly, the difference between a more open source oriented OS like Android, and its approach to hardware vendors, and the approach of the iPhone.

People use what they've always used, despite its issues. For me I've had problems with Linux and with Windows, although my issues with Linux are slight aesthetic issues that I CAN ACTUALLY FIX, but I'm too lazy to get around to it. The issues with Windows was that it just stopped working, and it was impossible to fix it. If Linux was perfected (which it seems to almost there, it just has a bit of cleanup to do, but it at least got all the major issues fixed) as in we got proper driver support, and the zealots toned down a bit then we have a lean mean fighting machine so to speak.

Off Topic: I just discovered that my old Dell Dimension can play flash videos and HD videos with Lubuntu which it couldn't play any videos with XP at all, and flash choked. It plays them smoothly too. Um...Microsoft care to explain?

chiliman
July 30th, 2010, 05:50 PM
*attempts to seduce /dev/sda1*

JDShu
July 30th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I feel like crying when my computer dies.

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Computers are superior to humans because then can die several times, you just have to push an on button. Our on button only gets pressed once.

alphaniner
July 30th, 2010, 06:23 PM
oh i thought you were talking about people who get pissed off at their computer when their computer decides it doesn't want to work.

You rang? ):P

xpod
July 30th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Nothing wrong with a wee bit of the emotion when it comes to computers but like everything in life there are always those who will take things to extremes.

Computers are superior to humans because then can die several times, you just have to push an on button. Our on button only gets pressed once.

Whole computers generally dont die though. It`s more likely some solitary part/s which have died, which are usually easily replaced. Same goes for us humans nowadays too. Quite often it`s just a dodgy part needing replaced.
While i dont mind resurrecting supposedly dead machines i seriously doubt i`d have the same luck with a completely dead human. Apparently it`s been done from what i`ve heard though. :D

I spent my first days & weeks using a computer getting rather angry & frustrated because the installations of Windows on the old machines in question were really badly messed up and forever dying on me but the more i figured out the more that anger & frustration turned to sheer stubbornness before eventually becoming eagerness and before i knew it i actually looked forward to the next time one of them died a death on me....
Needless to say i discovered Ubuntu/Linux soon after and this new virtual computer world was a much happier place as a result.

Operating systems dying on us is probably a case of death by mis/adventure more often than not. :)

murderslastcrow
July 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Lol, I love how Linux can get people to salvage old computers, which would otherwise be remnants of an earlier time, and make extremely usable. Seriously, it's like... creepy, to be honest. They're not kidding when they say it runs comfortable, with Gnome AND Compiz, on a computer with only 384 MB of RAM. It really does, and it plays Flash awesomely.

And then there's IceWM, *box, e17, and tons more awesome lightweight alternatives for the people with 128 MB of RAM or less. Seriously, Linux is way too nice to people for the crap it gets.

But yeah, people will use what they've always used until a paradigm shift (like smartphones) forces them to discover something new.

I wonder if we'll have Windows and Adobe CS in 20 years. Somehow I doubt it, although mainstream computing isn't really in its infancy anymore. Everything's getting standardized and legally balanced as time goes on. It kinda' feels like the 'war' is already over, as it has lost a great deal of its relevance.

Windows Nerd
July 30th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Off Topic: I just discovered that my old Dell Dimension can play flash videos and HD videos with Lubuntu which it couldn't play any videos with XP at all, and flash choked. It plays them smoothly too. Um...Microsoft care to explain?

I just did too, but I am running just Openbox on an Arch Linux install, where it can play 1080p no problem, but stuggled to output more than 5 fps in 720p in XP. I concur, Windows is very poorly written in terms of resource control (Anyone want to tell me why Norton takes up more RAM on XP than my entire Lucid Install on boot up?).

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I just did too, but I am running just Openbox on an Arch Linux install, where it can play 1080p no problem, but stuggled to output more than 5 fps in 720p in XP. I concur, Windows is very poorly written in terms of resource control (Anyone want to tell me why Norton takes up more RAM on XP than my entire Lucid Install on boot up?).

Yeah I'm running Openbox with Lubuntu (LXDE) on this thing, I tried to run a 1080p video which ran it's just that my screen is only 1024x768 resolution so most of it was off the screen. This thing has 256mb RAM, P4 processor, and 64mb Nvidia graphics card and it runs HD video. XP couldn't play standard definition DVD quality movies without throwing in the towel. Norton is retarded, I remember using it because it was our first AV, and it wouldn't block anything. Then when we got our computer cleaned of a virus the guy who cleaned it put NOD32 (it was cracked) on it, and we never had another problem even with my dad's habits of surfing sketchy sites.

Windows Nerd
July 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Yeah I'm running Openbox with Lubuntu (LXDE) on this thing, I tried to run a 1080p video which ran it's just that my screen is only 1024x768 resolution so most of it was off the screen. This thing has 256mb RAM, P4 processor, and 64mb Nvidia graphics card and it runs HD video. XP couldn't play standard definition DVD quality movies without throwing in the towel. Norton is retarded, I remember using it because it was our first AV, and it wouldn't block anything. Then when we got our computer cleaned of a virus the guy who cleaned it put NOD32 (it was cracked) on it, and we never had another problem even with my dad's habits of surfing sketchy sites.
Can't you fix your screen resolution?

There is no point for me playing anything above 720p unless I manage to get an HDMI-capable Graphics card in the future anyways...I doubt that will happen with the old hardware, I have to upgrade everything else anyways, (PSU, case, and possibly the mobo as well, depending on if it has PCI express 2.0 slots).

Legendary_Bibo
July 30th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Can't you fix your screen resolution?

There is no point for me playing anything above 720p unless I manage to get an HDMI-capable Graphics card in the future anyways...I doubt that will happen with the old hardware, I have to upgrade everything else anyways, (PSU, case, and possibly the mobo as well, depending on if it has PCI express 2.0 slots).

It's attached to an old monitor that only supports up to 1024x768. I just have to play it in Gnome mPlayer or VLC, grab the edges and resize it. Fullscreen doesn't scale it, oh well. :)

jerenept
July 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Maybe it's your Pentium's Hyper-threading, but my Sempron (oc-2.38 GHz) maxes out on 720p even using VDPAU or xv. (GeForce 6100/nForce405)

Even then, the performance is way better than when i used to play videos on this in xp
(using SMPlayer and DirectX).

BTW, this monitor I have maxes out at 1024x768 (15")

_h_
July 30th, 2010, 10:20 PM

What's weird is that when I was on Windows 7 I could watch Terminator: Salvation at 1080p h264 fine, but when I tried to watch Avatar in the same setup it would choke.

I've yet to try watching 1080p on linux (as I'm currently watching Stargate SG-1 S1-10 on hulu @ 480p).

p.s.
July 30th, 2010, 10:37 PM
I, for one, resent that you would even raise the subject of computers in such a public forum!

Dustin2128
July 31st, 2010, 01:38 AM
It's been so long since I've used windows, not having the ability to play fullscreen hd movies with compiz fusion enabled on my old p3 with 512 megs of ram is scary. Why are windows programs so inefficient in memory usage?

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2010, 04:18 AM
Maybe it's your Pentium's Hyper-threading, but my Sempron (oc-2.38 GHz) maxes out on 720p even using VDPAU or xv. (GeForce 6100/nForce405)

Even then, the performance is way better than when i used to play videos on this in xp
(using SMPlayer and DirectX).

BTW, this monitor I have maxes out at 1024x768 (15")

Silly me, it was a simple solution all I had to do was hit F11, and it gave me the best fit. :)

F1y3r3
July 31st, 2010, 07:26 PM

There should be a huge difference between VDPAU and xv. I can't play any 1080p video without VDPAU (Athlon64 1.8GHz + G210). Phoronix did a nice test of VDPAU on a low end hardware http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_vdpau_gpu&num=3