PDA

View Full Version : PowerDVD for Linux?

mooreted
July 29th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Why?

I can play DVD's just fine if I want to without buying PowerDVD. Just wondering: What's the point?

jerenept
July 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM
it can play dvds without questionably legal programs like libdvdcss or libdvdread.

SunnyRabbiera
July 29th, 2010, 08:52 PM
it can play dvds without questionably legal programs like libdvdcss or libdvdread.

Screw "legal" it only benefits greedy companies like Microsoft anymore.

marshmallow1304
July 29th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Since it's licensed, it protects you from the ridiculous laws that would stop you from viewing your own legally purchased content. I suppose corporations might use it to limit liability.

FuturePilot
July 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM

That may be a moot point now http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/07/25/1646256/Court-Rules-That-Bypassing-Dongle-Is-Not-a-DMCA-Violation

Lucradia
July 29th, 2010, 09:20 PM
That may be a moot point now http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/07/25/1646256/Court-Rules-That-Bypassing-Dongle-Is-Not-a-DMCA-Violation

Key word, "may."

Microsoft will love to take up this and disallow you to use those libraries to read DVDs... so you can pay companies that make DVD reading software, or so that Microsoft doesn't have to lower its OS price to offset lack of bloatware.

FuturePilot
July 29th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Key word, "may."

I believe it is but I'm no lawyer.

lisati
July 29th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Legal issues aside, it's just a tool. :D

LowSky
July 29th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Key word, "may."

Microsoft will love to take up this and disallow you to use those libraries to read DVDs... so you can pay companies that make DVD reading software, or so that Microsoft doesn't have to lower its OS price to offset lack of bloatware.

MS doesn't own PowerDVD or the rights to how a DVD is played... If people remember Windows XP and lower needed programs like PowerDVD to DVD as well.

Spr0k3t
July 29th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Personally speaking... the rights to be able to play a DVD should travel with the DVD, not the player. Using software to "circumvent" the encryption on the disc is just a means to get the player to recognize the content. So if I'm breaking copyrights by playing DVDs on my Linux system without purchasing some licensed software... then to hell with them, I highly doubt it would even hold up in courts.

I can see it now.
"Oh no! He's circumventing the encryption to play rented DVDs on Linux!"

Of course, if the media and film industry of america (mafia) had their way, we would be purchasing a license for each and every dvd, player, and times viewed.

eriktheblu
July 29th, 2010, 10:45 PM

Apples and oranges; this in no way applies to encryption. Amusing situation in that the plaintiff (MGE) seems to have deliberately sabotaged their product in order to hold their customers hostage after their very large initial hardware investment. Remind me to never buy from them.

An unlicensed CSS decoder violates the DMCA.

mooreted
July 30th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Personally speaking... the rights to be able to play a DVD should travel with the DVD, not the player. Using software to "circumvent" the encryption on the disc is just a means to get the player to recognize the content. So if I'm breaking copyrights by playing DVDs on my Linux system without purchasing some licensed software... then to hell with them, I highly doubt it would even hold up in courts.

I can see it now.
"Oh no! He's circumventing the encryption to play rented DVDs on Linux!"

Of course, if the media and film industry of america (mafia) had their way, we would be purchasing a license for each and every dvd, player, and times viewed.

Pretty much my attitude. I'm not trying to steal DVD's and sell them. I just want to watch them.

These days I stream more than anything, but still.