PDA

View Full Version : Dell Streak

JustinR
July 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Hey everybody,

Has anybody heard of the Dell Streak? Its a new phone from Dell - and its huge.

It has a 5inch screen compared to the iPhone's 3.5? inch screen.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/mobile-streak?c=us&l=en&s=corp

http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/mobile-accessories/mobile-accessories-highlights/mobile-streak-design1.jpg

It looks nice. The biggest feature to me is that is multitasks!

jerenept
July 29th, 2010, 08:32 PM
It's a tablet PC; I think, not a phone.

JustinR
July 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM
It's a tablet PC; I think, not a phone.

Its a cell phone.

Just kidding. Its Tablet/Smartphone according to Wikipedia.

But it makes cell phone calls among other things.

FuturePilot
July 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM

samalex
July 29th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I wish tech companies would quit trying to compete with an already saturated smart phone market and start rolling out Android-based tablets instead. I don't care anything about having an Android device tied to the cell phone network, but I do want the power of Android on a tablet I can use at home, work, etc. As long as it supports Wifi I always have the option of a Mifi or some other device to access the 3G/4G network.

As for the streak, personally the price is too steep for me at $550, if that price is correct (reported online a few days ago by several tech sites).

Sam

whiskeylover
July 29th, 2010, 09:03 PM
An article published today on CNN

When phones are too big for pockets (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/07/29/5.inch.dell.streak/index.html?hpt=Sbin)

JustinR
July 29th, 2010, 09:04 PM
An article published today on CNN

When phones are too big for pockets (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/07/29/5.inch.dell.streak/index.html?hpt=Sbin)

Thats actually how I found out just a few minutes before I posted this thread!

TheNerdAL
July 29th, 2010, 10:16 PM
It looks weird next to your head when you are on the phone. :p

LMP900
July 29th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I wish tech companies would quit trying to compete with an already saturated smart phone market and start rolling out Android-based tablets instead. I don't care anything about having an Android device tied to the cell phone network, but I do want the power of Android on a tablet I can use at home, work, etc. As long as it supports Wifi I always have the option of a Mifi or some other device to access the 3G/4G network.

As for the streak, personally the price is too steep for me at $550, if that price is correct (reported online a few days ago by several tech sites).

Sam

The price is fair for what you get. It's certainly competitive with the iPad and you don't even need a computer to register or sync it. It will likely function normally without a SIM card for use as a tablet. For me, it's the perfect size for portable web browsing and media playback.

I think people are turned off by the price because many of us are used to subsidized phone pricing by cell carriers. If you look at it as a tablet, it doesn't seem overpriced. Even Apple considers their iPad as "unbelievably priced."

I was actually waiting (and waiting and waiting) for this to launch in the U.S., but I grew impatient and bought a Samsung Captivate instead. I'll wait for the Samsung Galaxy tablet or iPad 2 before jumping into the tablet bandwagon.

pwnst*r
July 30th, 2010, 12:14 AM
You've been living under a rock if you're techie and haven't heard of the Streak.

HappinessNow
July 30th, 2010, 12:49 AM
It looks weird next to your head when you are on the phone. :pOne word:

Bluetooth

McRat
July 30th, 2010, 12:55 AM
The reviews indicate this thing is absolutely huge and clumsy.

6" x 3.1" x 0.4" ~(152 x 77 x 10mm?)

My 3Gs with it's condom on is: 4.9" x 2.8" x 0.6"

Perhaps for little people this phone is huge. But I'm thinking it's still pocket sized. It will easily fit in the shirt pocket of a Hawaiian shirt, or in the front pocket of "unfashion" bluejeans of the correct size. No, probably not Calvin Kline Designer Jeans, but 501's? Sure.

HappinessNow
July 30th, 2010, 01:03 AM
The reviews indicate this thing is absolutely huge and clumsy.

6" x 3.1" x 0.4" ~(152 x 77 x 10mm?)

My 3Gs with it's condom on is: 4.9" x 2.8" x 0.6"

Perhaps for little people this phone is huge. But I'm thinking it's still pocket sized. It will easily fit in the shirt pocket of a Hawaiian shirt, or in the front pocket of "unfashion" bluejeans of the correct size. No, probably not Calvin Kline Designer Jeans, but 501's? Sure.
For big and/or tall people with large hands this will be a welcomed product.

tgalati4
July 30th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Didn't Apple use hand models (with really big hands) to advertise the iPhone?

(Comments removed about little people holding a Streak while streaking.)

amitabhishek
July 30th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Considering a 3GS(32GB) which retails here @ $888; unsubsidized and LOCKED to carriers. This is still a bargain!

Yes, this thing is big but its like buying a SUV/truck and complaining that it is too big too park. You should know what you are getting into.

brsmits
February 28th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Ok, 2/28/11 here.

I have had the Dell Streak for about a month now, here are a few thoughts:

..........AWESOME!

All in all I absolutely love it. Very quick and snappy with everything. The touch screen is great and the capabilities are fantastic. Strangely enough it does not seem to want to hook up to my tower though. Don't know why. I'm running 10.04 with all the updates and I can't seem to see the drive on it. Oh well.

You will need to find a way to root it if you want to have full use of SFTP and SSH capabilities. The terminal is fairly straight forward. The touch keyboard takes a little getting used to. I came from an iphone 3g and I keep mis-typing.

All in all, for paying about 115 for it (upgrade through AT&T and being buddies with the guy at Best Buy) I am super happy with it.

If requested, I will do a full in-depth review on it. Not just pre-coffee morning ramblings.