PDA

View Full Version : Offering my computer skills at School?

razorboy5
July 29th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hey

A Month left until summer ends (which also means my summer job ends as well as my revenue) and I was thinking that when I'm at University I mite offer my skills at fixing computers to make a little money.

I go to school in a very rural area and not much tech help being offered. I fixed computers for several of my friends (pro bono of course) and usually the problems aren't too hard. Usually virus problem or missing drivers/ plugins. I dont have any professional training but believe I can pull this off, of course that doesn't mean I can fix everything but for stuff I can't fix I can usually offer some decent advice.

So is there any tips/advice or warnings about doing this?

MasterGamerJK
July 29th, 2010, 08:04 PM
im attending school for IT 20k/yr and students still complain and calain that they shouldnt have to pay for computer aid

hope u have better luck

theraje
July 29th, 2010, 08:04 PM
There are problems asking for compensation, but it should be fine to do it if all you expect is hands-on learning... and perhaps an 'A' grade for participation. :)

Might be a better idea to offer to fix other students' (and their friends/family) computers and such, though.

razorboy5
July 29th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I dont understand... if they dont have the skills to fix it themselves shouldn't they pay to fix have it fixed?

I wasn't going to charge alot in the first place (5-20 dollars depending on the problem) definately not going to fix ppl's computers for free lol...

Frogs Hair
July 29th, 2010, 08:15 PM
It never hurts to ask the question ; however , the IT staff at my school all have at least two year degrees.but they also have campuses in five cities around the state.

razorboy5
July 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
well I took comp sci for a year lol :P also i believe our IT ppl are very short staffed and have hard time just keeping the school's multiple websites in good order.

Bachstelze
July 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I dont understand... if they dont have the skills to fix it themselves shouldn't they pay to fix have it fixed?

They're expecting people to be kind. How silly of them...

Spr0k3t
July 29th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Do it... but make sure you build your report with each individual. Here's what I did.

1. Standard cleaning services, making the computer system run faster or like new. $10 per hour (student body only)
2. Data Backup services, help with migrating a computer system over to a new system or laptop. $10 per hour (student body only)
3. Each customer should be given a disc with random junk on it. Things like the latest versions of the major browsers, media players (foobar, vlc), codecs (such as divx etc), and free/opensource applications (like open office).

Standard fair was $75 +mileage (dollar per mile) for the first hour, $35 for every hour after. Family of the student body would receive an additional 20% discount.

One thing I did was collect the earnings and used them to purchase branded (stickers) USB keys. I gave these keys to the repeat customers which had a copy of the latest "PortableApps" on it. I also handed out copies of Linux distros and labeled them "Emergency Application Disc". Told the customers if they had a major issue that they couldn't access the internet, to use the emergency disc until I could help fix the problem. A good handful just changed to using Linux instead of Windows or Mac.

I did a little better than break even and earned quite a name for myself. I still go back to the college to do general operating system repairs for the IT department.

earthpigg
July 29th, 2010, 09:04 PM
USD $100 isn't considered an unreasonable ballpark figure for basic things in the very tech savvy and densly populated area that I live.

I think at CAN $20, you are selling yourself short.

I suggest giving consideration to something along the lines of a flat $100 or $125 for anything within reason (you can always refuse a job), plus the cost of hardware/software if needed.

And don't do your work at their place. Have them bring it to you, or pick it up. This way, no hard feelings if it's a 15 minute fix, and no frustratingly being stuck in a strangers house for five hours if it takes longer to fix with them peering over your shoulder.

Sometimes the flat-rate strategy will suck for you, but I suspect that it will work out great the majority of the time.

I love Spr0k3t's idea about the "emergency application disc" - leave the bios boot order set to boot from cd before hard drive.

razorboy5
July 29th, 2010, 09:21 PM
thx for the advice but $100 seems a bit steep for simple fixes. Also I probably wont go into the hardware (unless very simple) just for the fact that there is a chance I could screw up and for a student not having a computer for a week is a real bummer...

Spr0k3t may i ask how u got ur name out there? I was thinking facebook since our school has it's own group or asking my frat brothers and friends to just spread the word

alphaniner
July 29th, 2010, 09:32 PM
They're expecting people to be kind. How silly of them...

I'd say they are expecting people to be selfless.

Gimme gimme gimme! What, you expect something in return? How uncivilized!

Spr0k3t
July 29th, 2010, 10:05 PM
When I was in the dorms, I posted up a note at commons area... I included a small bit of information on where I could be found and how to contact me. I also handed out business cards with similar information. The first semester was very slow. The first month I only had two legit calls and one legit email. Things really took off with the winter break though... I stuck around and talked with people. I low ball purchased students who were moving out and couldn't keep their computer systems only to turn around and sell them for a marginal profit. Eventually people knew me as "That Tech Guy" on campus by the end of the first year. Since I lived close to campus I continued to stick around over summer break. In the slow times, I offered free tutoring in various programming languages. Yes, it was tough at first, but slowly things worked out well.

What's funny, the main IT instructor hated me for offering Linux. Keep in mind, this was back in early 06.

razorboy5
July 29th, 2010, 10:17 PM
just got a great idea to break ppl's computers in the library then give em a business card ... probably get too rich

but thx for the advice ppl will report on how it goes september

Little Bones
July 29th, 2010, 10:50 PM
just got a great idea to break ppl's computers in the library then give em a business card ... probably get too rich

but thx for the advice ppl will report on how it goes september

I know from living in residence that just posting stuff up in the common room or on the floor cork board gets things out there. I think Spr0k3t had ideas for prices that were fairly reasonable, but I know from my friends that if it wasn't for me they would be going to stores and spending silly money to have someone install a few drivers or to make a back up CD. For instance, my girlfriend paid $150 for Best Buy to "set-up" her computer and they didn't even make a back up disk of the operating system.

I would say there is definitely a market for reasonably priced tech help, all you have to do is get yourself out there. Canvas your campus: put up little ads outside of lecture halls and if the student paper if you can.