PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 installation problems

MedianMajik
July 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for reading. I'm currently having trouble getting a desktop to run Ubuntu. Booting up the Ubuntu Live disk delivers the error (There was an unresolvable error. Dropping you into a live environment). After the Live CD boots I'm able to partition/install from within Gnome. I proceeded to install 10.04 and update the system.
After updating everything and the kernel I lose the ability to boot the system as it will totally freeze just as it auto-logs in. I'm unable to drop into a virtual console.

I tried the alternative CD thinking it would help and every install/test option besides MemTest86+ displays the crypic: Floppy Unknown Error(233)

I don't use a floppy and this error doesn't show up anywhere, but in a dapper bug report. The bios is configured correctly. The HD (I've tried two) and memory are in good condition.

dabl
July 29th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Assuming you have md5sum checked the CDs, I'm wondering about your optical drive. There seems to be some problem booting the CDs. Is it IDE or SATA? In your BIOS, for the optical drive, are there "modes" available? For example if it is a SATA drive and the mode is set to AHCI, try changing it to "Legacy IDE" or "IDE" if you can.