PDA

View Full Version : problem with installation

jokes_finder
July 29th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Salam 3likom

The problem: Ubuntu 10.04 setup wizard totally formatted my entire hard disk!!

Description: I installed ubuntu 10.04 from the bootable USB stick (instead of the CD)
In step 4 0f 7: I chose the second choice i.e. erase and use the entire disk
And after installation I didn't find the partitions!!!
All the hard disk was "filesystem"

Direct questions:

1- I had used ubuntu 9.10 before 10.04, and installed 9.10 using wubi.exe from the windows, and any of these problems didn't occur.. but instead, the setup wizard allowed me to choose which partition and the volume i want for ubuntu. Why didn't this happen while using the bootable USB stick?

2- Is there a way to re-partition the HDD before installing ubuntu like what happens when installing windows?

المشكلة: أوبونتو 10.04 فرمتلي الهارد بتاعي

التفاصيل: في الخطوة رقم 4 في التصطيب أنا اخترت الاختيار التاني اللي هو بيقول أمسح نظام التشغيل الموجود و احط أوبونتو 10.04 بدلا منه
و بعد ما أوبونتو نزل ملقتش أي بارتيشن في الهراد بتاعي

أسئلة مباشرة:

1- أنا كنت استخدمت 9.10 قبل كده و معملش معايا الحركة دي
بالعكس ده حتى خيرني بين البارتيشنات الموجودة و المساحة اللي أنا عاوز أخصصها له
بس أنا كنت اسخدمت wubi.exe من على الويندوز

2- هل هناك طريقة لإعادة تقسيم الهارد قبل ما أعمل تصطيب لأوبونتو زي ما كنا بنعمل مع الويندوز

شكرا مقدما

AhmadSherif
July 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Wa3lykom Al-Salam,

1- I had used ubuntu 9.10 before 10.04, and installed 9.10 using wubi.exe from the windows, and any of these problems didn't occur.. but instead, the setup wizard allowed me to choose which partition and the volume i want for ubuntu. Why didn't this happen while using the bootable USB stick?

Wubi is different from Ubiquity (the Ubuntu installer). Wubi is targeted to users who want install Ubuntu on their machines through an easy interface that looks like normal Windows installers. It minimize the risks which they may face while installing it from its defaults installer.

2- Is there a way to re-partition the HDD before installing ubuntu like what happens when installing windows?

Yes, there is. Given your circumstances, I see you got two options. Either your partition your hard drive keeping your current Ubuntu installation, using GParted (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GParted). Or you could reinstall Ubuntu choosing the option "Specify partitions manually (advanced)" at step 4 of 7. You can find here (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installing-Ubuntu-10-04-LTS-141550.shtml) a good tutorial on how to install Ubuntu, it also contains a section on how to manually partition your hard drive. Note that I'm not telling to follow the same instructions for manual partitioning (you can, though), but I'm hoping that you can get the general idea of how to do so.

Good luck ...
Ahmad Sherif

vannesing
November 30th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I also come across this problem