PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jumping upgrades

JacksonianX
July 29th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Hello there all. I am new to this forum and I have just started using Ubuntu. And my first question is this :

Is it possible to upgrade directly to the latest Ubuntu Desktop edition from the 8.x series or must I go through every upgrade ?

I say this because I recently installed Ubuntu but the last time I experimented with it I had a 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon and I have been upgrading slowly through each official release.

Thank you!!

P4man
July 29th, 2010, 09:51 AM
From 8.04 its possible to upgrade direclty to 10.04 (both are LTS releases; long term support). From ubuntu 8.10 you can not. You could upgrade only to 9.04, then to 9.10 then to 10.04 which you can probably guess is a bad idea. And its even all but impossible now since 8.10 is no longer supported.

Either way i would advice against doing this. Just boot a 10.04 livecd and test it first. If it works with your system install it from the live session.

3rdalbum
July 29th, 2010, 09:57 AM
From 8.04 you can go directly to 10.04. If you're at 8.10 then you'll need to fresh install.

I'd also probably recommend starting a new user account (and copy over only the settings and files you need from the old one) so you can be sure of seeing the nice new 10.04 in its true light, uncluttered by UI elements from previous versions.

JacksonianX
July 30th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Thank you both. Unfortunately it was not possible for me to acquire a livecd so I had to go upgrade to upgrade. It was long but nonetheless it has been done. As I am here now, I am looking forward to fixing it up visually and programming wise so that I can work with C++.

Thanks to you both.