PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound Effects besides just launching an app

vek
July 29th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Greetings.

Is there a way to get sound effects for more than just launching an app? I get the default 'boop' noise when I launch an app from the panel, and when I click an okay button on a dialog, but that's not nearly enough feedback.

For example everything else is dead quiet: clicking the close button, minimizing, maximizing, clicking on a link, dialog popups for important questions, and most importantly clicking on something on the desktop has absolutely no feedback at all (ie, no visual animation or anything... you don't know if its launched or not, so you click it again and you end up with multiple copies launched!)

My sound system IS working, and I do get some events but it seems like theres only two possible sound files that can play - a generic "bloop" for when you launch something off the panel, and another similar sound when some notifications arrive, some of the time.

So, how do i get all the other useful sounds to play? It sure would be nice to get some more immediate feedback when interacting with the UI - like picking a menu option, right clicking on stuff, switching folders, even if its just a very subtle very quiet sound, its super useful to get immediate feedback that the computer has begun to do what you asked of it. I remember these things all working a couple years ago, have we gone backwards?