PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] 10.04 does not come up. No display after boot.

JimGvo
July 29th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I installed Kubuntu 10.04 on my wife's machine after an unsuccessful attempt at getting a Nvidia geforce 6200 board to display anything larger than 800x640. All went well until I rebooted. Nothing. The disk light flashes for a while and then comes on solid. The screen flickers briefly and displays the "no signal" message for a short time. C-A-F1 doesn't bring up a terminal window. Booting the recovery results in the same no display. I booted the live CD and looked at the syslog and the X logs (kdm and X) and didn't see anything that stood out as a problem. If my wife can't get to her email pretty soon, I'm a dead duck. I don't know what to do at this point. C-A-Backspace doesnt' do anything either, but then I'm vaguely aware that's been removed for some stupid reason. It's one of the more valuable debuging tools. Anyway I'm guessing the C-A-F keys have gone away also, so I have no idea how to boot this system.

Any help would be most appreciated. I'm guessing the X config is not right, but I can't find the xorg.conf file any longer or I'd copy the one that works from the live CD. Can anyone help there?

There are copies of the logs on http://jim.lynch.name/Xorg.0.log and http://jim.lynch.name/kdm.log

Thanks,
Jim.

JimGvo
July 29th, 2010, 12:21 PM
So I've booted the live cd, mounted / and /boot, duped the /dev mounted /proc and did a chroot to the root device. I then did an aptitude update;aptitude dist-upgrade. I also installed and started the sshd process.

Now I get a login screen, however when I enter the password it clears the screen after a few seconds and displays the login screen again. If I enter a bad password I get the same effect however a red box appears around the user and pw to let me know it's wrong.

So I went off and downloaded the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.run file from the Nvidia site and installed it. Now I get a bigger login screen but it behaves like before. Flashes and returns the login screen.

Here's the last part of the kdm.log

(==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
QFont::fromString: Invalid description 'Serif,20,5,0,50,0'
QFont::fromString: Invalid description 'Sans Serif,10,5,0,50,0'
QFont::fromString: Invalid description 'Sans Serif,10,5,0,75,0'
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /tmp/1211329518/.config/ibus/bus
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
QFont::fromString: Invalid description 'Serif,20,5,0,50,0'
QFont::fromString: Invalid description 'Sans Serif,10,5,0,50,0'
QFont::fromString: Invalid description 'Sans Serif,10,5,0,75,0'
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /tmp/0531228103/.config/ibus/bus
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon

From what I can tell the ibus isn't necessarily related. I did install the ibus module but I can't start it from a remote connection.

So I couldn't find anything very interesting in the system logs, so I looked at the user logs and behold! A message that may account for the difficulties:

Xsession: X session started for sue at Thu Jul 29 07:01:18 EDT 2010
<unknown program name>(1272)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: "Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-D7pS2ltI3R: Connection refused"

<unknown program name>(1254)/: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

Unfortunately google didn't help me understand the problem.

So given that can anyone help?

Thanks,
Jim