PDA

View Full Version : Brother, can you spare some time?

MCVenom
July 29th, 2010, 02:43 AM
You may or may not be familiar the 'How To Manual That Anyone Can Edit', WikiHow. Up until today, the 'How To Switch To Ubuntu' article (http://www.wikihow.com/Switch-to-Ubuntu) was woefully outdated (it covered the installation of Feisty Fawn). I took some time and brought it up to date. However, it's goal, to be a comprehensive guide on switching to Ubuntu, has not been, and I believe has never been met; more information and tips could be added. I hope to add more to it myself, but I wanted to ask the community for some help; adding tips, links, exploring a step in more depth or just posting an opinion of the article here in this thread would be appreciated. :D

Dustin2128
July 29th, 2010, 02:51 AM
overall it's a pretty good guide but I fixed a grammatical error
To install software, use either the Ubuntu Software Center or synaptic package manager. (ubuntu software center then synaptic description)

NFblaze
July 29th, 2010, 02:55 AM
Looks decent enough.

Although, it use some clarification on how to check if theire hardware is compatible and how to partition. The tricky part is that alot of computer users are complete noobs when it comes to computer, so you dont want to overwhelm them but you want to make sure they do not mess up. I'll prolly take a look at later on since this is truly "anyone can edit" unlike the official docs at ubuntu where you must sign up.

MCVenom
July 29th, 2010, 02:57 AM
overall it's a pretty good guide but I fixed a grammatical error

MCVenom
July 29th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Looks decent enough.

Although, it use some clarification on how to check if theire hardware is compatible and how to partition. The tricky part is that alot of computer users are complete noobs when it comes to computer, so you dont want to overwhelm them but you want to make sure they do not mess up. I'll prolly take a look at later on since this is truly "anyone can edit" unlike the official docs at ubuntu where you must sign up.
I encourage you to do so :)

There are things which definitely need more detailed explanations; I was retyping that article for four hours, I was beat and didn't do nearly as much as I wanted to. :P