PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu or WIndows 7 or both?

mamamia88
July 28th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I love ubuntu and have been using it exclusively for 2 years. but i just ordered an ssd and can't decide what os I want to install on it. i don't really want to dualboot and will probably use old drive for data. in previous years i've had to use software that came with books that i managed to get to run in wine. also, if i put the old ubuntu harddrive in the second harddrive bay in my laptop can i boot from it by choosing from computers boot menu?

chriswyatt
July 28th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Do you need Windows 7? Do you need Ubuntu?

If you have applications that only work in Windows, then you might wanna keep Windows. If not then ditch it. It's a decision you have to make yourself really.

If you really can't decide just stick both on, if you decide you don't want to keep Windows or you run out of space on your Ubuntu partition then you can just delete the partition.

mamamia88
July 28th, 2010, 10:46 PM
i don't need ubuntu but i really like it. i don't need windows 7 but i like it. now i will have an extra drive which ubuntu is currently stored on. maybe i will buy a second harddrive bracket for my laptop scrhink ubuntu partition and make a shared partiton for data. thing is i like to leave computer running because i subscribe to podcasts and want them to download while i'm away and would hate to reboot.

mamamia88
July 28th, 2010, 10:59 PM
i love ubuntu too much. think i'm going to install windows on the old hdd and put ubuntu on the new ssd. that way i'll have windows if i need it for school. anyone know of best way to clone my install onto an ssd? can i just copy my entire home folder onto external drive and copy it back?

chriswyatt
July 28th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Sorry, didn't read your post properly, I'm half watching TV, half browsing the internet, can't multi-task.

I'd probably rather go with booting both OSs from the internal hard drive and using the external one for data myself.

CharlesA
July 28th, 2010, 11:02 PM
You could always install Win7 and run Ubuntu in a VM or install Ubuntu and run Win7 in a VM.

mamamia88
July 28th, 2010, 11:08 PM
yeah i think i'm going to go with both I just can't decide

mamamia88
July 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM
quick question will i be able to boot ubuntu if it is in second bay after moving it from first harddrive bay?

TheNerdAL
July 28th, 2010, 11:30 PM
quick question will i be able to boot ubuntu if it is in second bay after moving it from first harddrive bay?

Yes, you can just go to the boot options when you boot up your computer.

mamamia88
July 28th, 2010, 11:32 PM
allright cool. just ordered a second caddy, connector, and screws on ebay. going to install windows 7 on the ssd because ubuntu is already pretty fast on the hdd. then i will schrink the ubuntu partition by around 50gb or so and create a shared ntfs partition

SunnyRabbiera
July 28th, 2010, 11:34 PM
If you have the space dual boot.

ve3tru
July 28th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Just me, but I dream about an SSD in my laptop that can boot in 5 seconds WinBlows still cant do that, and never will, Very impressive for anyone watching.

TheNerdAL
July 28th, 2010, 11:37 PM
allright cool. just ordered a second caddy, connector, and screws on ebay. going to install windows 7 on the ssd because ubuntu is already pretty fast on the hdd. then i will schrink the ubuntu partition by around 50gb or so and create a shared ntfs partition

Screws for what? The Hard Drive? I think the Hard Drive comes with screws when it's new, but then again if you ordered it from Ebay, who knows? :P

mamamia88
July 28th, 2010, 11:45 PM
screws to hold the hardrrive in the caddy. it is a laptop after all.

RabbitWho
July 29th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Right now, technically both. I don't think i've used 7 since I installed it, except to make it look pretty. But I'm having so many problems with Lucid somethings going to change soon.
Go to Windows? HA! I'll find something.

Frogs Hair
July 29th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I received W7 as a gift when I built a pc and wanted learn about Linux , so now I have both . I will need W7 for school and I can play games without having to bother with wine . I use both operating systems everyday, but I have to admit I spend more time on Ubuntu. It feels strange to log into the Ubuntu forums on Windows.:)