PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo 64 emulators and roms

CoffeeCoder
July 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Hey everyone!

So I found an N64 emulator in the Software Center the other day (Mupen64Plus), and it's making me want to play Super Mario 64 again. :P

I was wondering if anybody knew of a safe site to download N64 roms from? I've Googled around, but I'm always hesitant about downloading anything. :P So if someone could point me to a safe, trustworthy site I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

chriswyatt
July 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I doubt I'm allowed to link to any illegal ROM sites for obvious reasons, nor do I download ROMs anymore anyway. But you could try googling filenames e.g. supermario64.v64 etc., I've managed to find some rare ROMs that way.

Also most sites should be quite safe as long as you use a secure browser and OS and you don't give any personal details.

linux18
July 28th, 2010, 09:45 PM
the chances that a rom contains a linux specific malware are nanoscopic no rom probably ever contained a linux virus. anything you download thats n64 rom related is probably safe for you.

chriswyatt
July 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Yep. Also, any warez type site does put you at risk of dodgy popup advertising, I've seen some pretty gross stuff that I don't wanna go into detail about here. But you are right that these sorts of sites are slightly more risky, especially if your a Windows user. As a Linux user I doubt you'd need to worry too much.

CoffeeCoder
July 28th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Security's one of the main reasons I've become a full-time Linux user. :)

Okay, so I should be able to download an SM64 rom and not worry about it too much? Cool. :)

K.Mandla
July 28th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Tsk, tsk, tsk. [-X Let's all go read the Code of Conduct again. ...